3 Weeks to go......... to Big Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase_101

I have just over 3 weeks to go to a rather large OHS consisting of a triple CABG, with an Ascending Aorta replacement and a BAV being replaced with a mechanical valve and the surgeon is also doing a cardio ablation while he in there and possiblly stapling the atrial appendage.

Bit of a shopping list to be honest and as the time gets closer it gets more real what is about unfold, my last CT scan showed an aortic aneurysm of 5.1cm so this and the valve change were required and I was not expecting the CABG which came out the blue, showing my LAD looking the most narrowed. I don't think it matters how much one tries to remain composed, its hard not to think of the worst hence I have gotten my affairs in order just in the the big guy upstairs decides its time!!

Has anyone had impaired renal function after having OHS?

Pre-Op tests scheduled for 3rd April with an early morning surgery on the 4th April (D-Day) so I hope to be around (fingers crossed) to post an update once the surgery is complete.

Thanks
Jase

Wishing you a successful intervention and smooth recovery for all your different issues. Yeah unexpected to hear about the CABG but definitely prefer to learn about it this way rather than the heart attack way. Wishing you the best.

Good luck! I know you know this but it's better that they found all this now. You are the example why they check the coronary arteries. Let us know if we can help leading up to and after surgery. You got this.

Reactions: V__
Best of luck with your procedure(s)!

That is indeed a good list. Please keep us posted on how things go and we'll see you on the other side!

Quite a menu! The good news is that modern medical treatment has made tremendous strides in this area and those of us with these heart issues are the beneficiaries. There are no guarantees but the success rate is very high for these surgeries. It's an extended lease on life.

Best wises for a successful surgery and a rapid and complete recovery

Good luck with the surgery! Wishing you a fast recovery.

Yes, the list includes multiple procedures, but they are all relatively common.

the CABG which came out the blue, showing my LAD looking the most narrowed.
Good thing this was found out! As I understand the guidelines, either triple case or LAD involvement by themselves would imply surgery over stenting. And CABG is a very frequent case. So all surgeons should be skilled at it. Nice not to have another/separate surgery due to this cause.

Has anyone had impaired renal function after having OHS?
I did not. From memory, there is about 2% chance of AKI ("acute kidney injury").

My 3rd surgery was a two surgeon job. When I woke up I felt very good. No renal issues, but I had a partially collapsed lung which resolved and also a pressure sore on my heel! That was annoying and took a long time to heal.

UPDATE

2 weeks before surgery I developed a nasty respiratory infection, so the surgeon strongly recommended we cancel the op which was due to happen on 4th April. Its now looking like May for the surgery and I have been told I must be 100% infection 2 weeks out from the planned surgery.

More updates to follow next month.

Thanks

2 weeks before surgery I developed a nasty respiratory infection, so the surgeon strongly recommended we cancel the op which was due to happen on 4th April. Its now looking like May for the surgery and I have been told I must be 100% infection 2 weeks out from the planned surgery.
Thanks for the update. It makes sense. The immune system will be temporarily disrupted post-op. So they don't want any infections, especially respiratory ones.

If they already gave you spirometer, you can practice with it (in moderation). That's what I would do. It helps to prepare the lungs for doing this exercise post-op. Maybe it can even help you now.

Back