3 weeks Post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

Wow?. Can you believe it has been three weeks since my surgery? Some days it really does seem like 3 weeks. Some days it seems like 3 days. I started Cardiac Rehab last Friday and am going 3 days a week for the next 3 months. Yes I am the youngest one in my class. Probably by about 20-30 years. I was able to walk .37 miles (1/3 of a mile) on the treadmill. My first day it took 20 minutes and my second day it took 15 minutes. So day by day I continue on my way to recovery. I know that in time it will help me but right now it is very exhausting for me. I still continue to do my walking at home. I am up to walking 5 times a day. Its walk, rest, walk, rest?. Pretty much what my days consist of. But that?s just for now. Next week I will be able to do more and the week after that even more.

I still continue to deal with my pain management. That seems to be a big struggle for me. Luckily I have some great doctors helping me with it. I continue to still have some dizzy spells but those are getting better now that some of my meds are adjusted once again and I have some of my appetite back. I also continue to struggle with insomnia which I am trying different things everyday to help me with this.

I?m finding that once you have heart surgery like this it really changes a lot of aspects in your life. From what you eat to how you deal with stress. It?s amazing the things in our daily lives that affect our hearts. It also makes you very thankful for a lot of things.

I have also found a new Electrophysiology doctor to monitor my ICD (pacemaker/defibulator). I met him in the hospital and he is wonderful. Unfortunately during surgery my lead in my atrium got lifted during the Maze Procedure and is no longer working. He will monitor this going forward and see what happens. I am enjoying not having to take the anti-arrhythmia med Tikosyn. I am now only taking 5 different meds a day now (but not that one  ) . I am hoping eventually this number will go down to just 2 with one of them being an aspirin.

I am truly thankful to all of my doctors, especially my surgeon. The morning after my surgery he came into the ICU to see me and I called him my Hero. And every day after that until I left the hospital he came to see me and talk with me. I feel like he has given me a whole new life. I know as I recover, I will feel this new life emerge. It?s funny; I actually look forward to going to see my Cardiologist now. I have a great deal respect for him and his entire team. I talk with them on a weekly basis over the phone as they call to see how I am doing. I go see him next week.

I am also thankful to all of you for all of your support over these last few months.

Hurray! Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Your attitude sure is great, and that is definitely contributing to your recovery, I am sure of it!
Don't try to do too much too fast.
I hope your back pain and insomnia improve.

Take care
Melissa

Sounds like you are doing well. How long are you walking when you walk 5 times a day. I am up to 4 times a day for 17 minutes. Granted sometimes this is more like a shuffle. But I know what you mean about feeling like you do nothing but walk and rest. I also have my antibiotics which take an hour and a half. Between all those things and resting between them the day goes by pretty quickly.

Once again it sounds like the recovery is going great and you have a good team so keep it up and before we know it the two of us will be better than before.

Sounds like you are doing well. How long are you walking when you walk 5 times a day. I am up to 4 times a day for 17 minutes. Granted sometimes this is more like a shuffle. But I know what you mean about feeling like you do nothing but walk and rest. I also have my antibiotics which take an hour and a half. Between all those things and resting between them the day goes by pretty quickly.

Once again it sounds like the recovery is going great and you have a good team so keep it up and before we know it the two of us will be better than before.

Its about 15 minutes 5 times a day. sometimes shorter if it's shortly after I take my meds... they make me really tired. How is your recovery going?

Sounds like you are doing great! I'm surprised you ware doing the cardio rehab already. They told me I wouldn't start that until 2 or 3 months post-op, and I really wish I could go ahead and get started now.

You and I are a day apart! They told me 6 to 7 weeks before I could start rehab...I am jelous! I'm walking 6-8 miles/day, but can't start rehab?!? Congratulations and keep up the smooth recovery.

Phil

Each day will bring improvement Laura and I love your attitude too. That will get you through your recovery.

Laura,

I agree with the others...you have a great attitude and I am certain this is helping with your recovery. May everyday get easier for you.

You and I are a day apart! They told me 6 to 7 weeks before I could start rehab...I am jelous! I'm walking 6-8 miles/day, but can't start rehab?!? Congratulations and keep up the smooth recovery.

Phil

if your walking 6-8 miles a day... you probably don't even need rehab.

Latest posts

Back