3 weeks Post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoVeNY25

Hello Everyone,

I am finally on the other side of the mountain, 3 weeks ago today I had my AVR/MVR with St. Judes and tricuspid repair. It's been a long 3 weeks, but I'm feeling good. I had a bad week where I wasn't eating and the pain medication started taking it's toll on me. I got out of that vicious cycle and am eating well. Yesterday was my first post-op visit with my surgeon and cardio, Things couldn't have gone better except for the fact I developed pericarditis and was put on Celebrex for it. I'm doing another echo next week to see if there is any improvement, If not, The Cardio says I might have to have percardial syntesis (sp?). Has anyone had this procedure, would I have to stay in the hospital? I'm very happy with my report and just look at this as a tiny bump in the road. I hope everyone is doing well and I want to say thank you again to everyone for being there for me and for being the wonderful people you are!! :D

Nicole, 19
Queens, NY
AVR/MVR and
Tricuspid repair 4-24-02
NY Presbyterian- Dr. L Girardi

Good News

Good News

Sounds like you are doing great. Good luck the rest of the way on your recovery.

Brooks
Synergraft AVR Planned w/ Dr. Zehr at Mayo

Hi Nicole,

I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and it is indeed only a small 'bump' you'll glide right over!

Best wishes,

Zipper

Nicole - Great to hear you made it through so well. They found Pericarditis on my last day in the Cleveland hospital. They let me go and I took the Celebrex. There was no follow-up at all, nor did they suggest anything. I guess they figured I would be seeing my cardiologist soon after. Anyway, good luck with further recovery and glad to see you back.

So prior to this, you had 3 of 4 valves leaking

So prior to this, you had 3 of 4 valves leaking

enough to justify repair and preplacement.

I'd be very curious as to your resting blood pressure a year before surgery.

This is probably just an off the wall idea but I too have had 3 of 4 valves that leak.

A + one in the Tricuspid, a +1-2 in the mitral and a 4+ on the Aortic before it was finally replaced in April of 2000.

Now there's two that leak as before.

Here's my question: have always had low normal BP in the 106/65 range.

Even after surgery it only rises to 110/75 and occasionally into the 106/65 range. I was wondering if the leaks in the valves demonstrate as low/low normal blood pressure, and if all the leaks were fixed how many points, if any at all the pressure would rise?

Probably too early to tell but if you have low BP in the runup to the surgery, I'd love to know if all the leaks have dramatically raised your pressure.

Thanks

AVR CCF 4/00
Cosgrove

HI Nicole-

I was so glad to see your post. Things will smooth out soon and full recovery will be on the horizon. Wishing you all the best. Congrats on being on the other side of the mountain.

Last edited:
Hi Nicole,

It was great to see your post. Just a couple of days ago I was searching to see if there had been any posts from you or about you since your surgery. Then the next day---there it was.

I'm happy to see that the surgery went well, but it's too bad that you had to hit the pericarditis "pothole" on the road to recovery. I hope the docs are able to get that under control quickly, however necessary.

The worst is over and you should be feeling pretty good in another 3 or 4 weeks and probably better than you've felt in a long time by week 12. Keep us posted.

Ron K

Congratulations

Congratulations

Well done on making it over the mountain Nicole ....so glad things were not too bad for you ...although sorry you had that last bump..wishing you a complete and quick recovery.
Scottie

hi nicole!
what good news that all went well!
i was so happy to read that you are on your way to recovery. unfortunately, "bumps in the road " do occur every so often. i know you must be disappointed; none of us expect to have "snags" along the way.
hopefully, this will be resolved quickly and the rest of your recovery will go smoothly.
please keep us posted. be well, sylvia

Glad you're back! I was just thinking about you the other day and realized I had seen no postings at all, which was worrisome. Anyhow, sounds like you are doing well in spite of a bump in the road, and I hope the rest of your recovery is totally uneventful!

When you are feeling stronger, do tell us a little more about your experience. Hang in there, and I hope all your flowers bloom on this side of the mountain!

Best,
--John

Welcome back! It's real good to hear from you.

The pericardial however you spell it, I wouldn't think would be more then an outpatient procedure. They may want to monitor you after drawing the fluid off, but I don't think they'd admit you.

Sounds like other then that, your doing well. Keep us up to date as you feel like it. :)

pericardial sintesis?

pericardial sintesis?

hello nicole! well, it's good to know that you are doing well though there seems to be a bump in the road. be assured that this is also a part of the healing process & it only means that you are going to get better...

i'm curious...did the doctors say you have fluid around the heart sac? i ask because 3 days after my surgery on may 3rd, the surgeon again operated on me (called a pericardial window) to remove fluid around my heart sac. so i'm wondering if it's the same. if it is, then you may possibly stay in the hospital since they will be putting a jackson-follet cath to catch the fluid. mine took about a couple of days for all the fluid to be drained. i still have yet to go for a doppler echo sometime on june to check if there are remnants of fluid.

good luck, take care & rest well!

ben

Hi Nicole,

Good to see your post, and so gald that you came through your surgery so well. I hope everything continues to improve, and that you get over the pericarditis issue. Please keep us posted.

Wishing you the best,

Rob

Good to Hear from you again.

Good to Hear from you again.

Hi Nicole, Wondered about you, since I didn't see any post from you. Bet your glad the surgery is all over. Keep up the rest and start eating good. Get plenty of sleep. I'll be watching for any more post from you. Syl:D

Wishing you the best!

Wishing you the best!

Nicole,

Welcome to the "double clickers" club.

Take care and keep us posted.

Regards,

Latest posts

Back