3 months and 3 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealR

Had both the Aortic and Mitral valves replaced on 10/19/09. Quite an ordeal too. This site has been so helpful and I learned so much, perhaps I can help someone else as well. My experience was sort of a mixed bag, good and interesting, but not horrible. For the first 4 weeks the pain was intense. I could not get more than 2 hours of sleep a night, and often found myself hunting for the right place to sleep. The pain, interestingly enough, was in my arms and back! I also found my body crashing at times. Visual Disturbances, panic and anxiety attacks (from not knowing) and a numbness that developed in my right wrist while walking about a week or so after surgery. I would also get dizzy when I first would stand up, and could feel my heart pounding while I was laying down.
Now the good: After 3 months, most of the above has subsided, or went away completely. When I came home, I was easily able to make it up a flight of stairs. I was able to return to work after 5 weeks, and at 6 weeks, I had recovered about 90% of my energy. Today my energy easily exceeds what I was before surgery. I am able to walk 2 miles in 30 minutes, at speeds over 4.o mph, and reach 120 bpm without exhausting myself. In fact, I feel very good at this heart rate, and can even lift weights as well. My appetite returned about 2 days after surgery, and am hungry all the time. I went with the Edwards pericardial bovine valves. I know most opt for mechanicals, but I happy with my decision. I am advised by my surgeon these valves should last between 10 and 20 years. He further advised that there is evidence that statins my prolong this. The first time I heard these valves, while still in the hospital, both the nurse and myself were blown away. It sounded almost monstrous. I was pretty lucky all and all. I was able to get in shape for this surgery since I had about 3 months to do so. I quite smoking, even donated my own blood. The meds I am on are:
Asprin 325 mg/day
Atenolol, 12.5 mg/day
Lisinopril, 5 mg/day
simvastatin 10 mg/day
Niaspan, 500 500 mg/day. (this medicine may be temporary)
The only lingering issues are the numbness still in my right wrist, but this has indeed improved, and some tenderness in the sternum, which seems to come and go. The incision was glued from the inside, and looks very good. The surgery was performed at Bethesda North Hospital in Cincinnati, and the surgeon was Loren Hiratzka. They all did an excellent job. Hope this helps, please feel free to write.

It sounds like you had a rough start, Neal. It's good to see you are doing better and are very active!
I thought I felt pretty good at 6 months, then better at a year, and lots better at 2 years and hope you experience the same.

Hey Neal,
You must have went with tissue valves. You must be older so that you do not have to go through this again. Nice to hear you are doing well. I to have the pain in right wrist and numbness in pinky finger, good to hear that this will get better. I am 9 weeks post op. and am very happy with my recovery rate. did 92 watts on the rower at rehab. felt good. Ya, 12 weeks before swinging the weights agin, can't wait. Good luck to you.

later,
Mac
AVR, single by-pass
carbomedics mechanical
Dr. Suri
Mayo Clinic

Mac,

Actually I turned to big 50 just before the surgery. I know I will need another operation, but I am ok with this. The tissue valves are awesome.

Great to hear you are progressing as well, and pain should subside. I learned this related to nerves, probably from being stretched, or a shot in the elbow. I took some vitamins B-6, at the suggestion of my GP, and seemed to help.

Good luck in your recovery!

Thanks for the input Neal, and good to hear your tissue valves are working out. I guess the thought of having surgery agin at 70 wasn't appealing to me. Also since they think my valve were damaged from radiation they suggested that a second operation later on was not the greatest idea. I guess healing is dif. with radiation damaged tissue. My mech. valve is working great and the warfrin thing is not the big deal some people make it out to be. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the B-6, may try it. Getting sick of this dull pain and numbness in my right hand. Yake Care.

Later,
Mac

I had to smile at your heading... 3 months and 3 days. You are counting carefully because each day means so much!!! I like that!!

Glad that you are improving and that your spirits are excellent and your attitude is fantastic!!

It really just keeps going uphill until the rest of our middle age grievances catch up with us. :p

I'm almost at the 4 year mark (mid April) and my reports are all excellent with the tissue valve. I was 52, so close in age to you. Loving my tissue, too!

Keep up the good work on your recovery.

Marguerite

Back