3 month update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

It has been 3 month since my surgery. Boy, does the time fly. I am happy to report that I am 100% back to normal. What I call "normal" may in fact be a "new normal", but for me it's the ability to do everything/anything that I want to do physically.

I have to admit, I have spent majority of this time rehabing, trying to eat and sleep well, and of course spending lots and lots of time with the family and exercising. I was back to work about 2 weeks post OP and back to gym for light stuff about 4 weeks post OP.

If there was something I could advise to others post-OP I would say, be honest about what you do to recover. Spend lots of your time post-op actively healing, thinking positive thoughts, and just enjoying the new chance at life. I cannot thank people here enough in preparing me for the surgery, and I want to give back as much as I can as well. One thing I want to encourage is exercise, any exercise, it could be walking with your family, speed walking your dog, but whatever it is you do, and the more you do the better, really try get some sweat going and up your metabolism. There are lots of studies out there that point out the exercise promoted healing, recovery, and new fibers growth.

I have to admit, my recovery was very fast, there were little things that everyone told me to expect, but I exercised as much as I could and it seemed to speed up my recovery. Well, this is my story and I will stick to it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers,
GymGuy

How awesome being on this side!! I still find it hard to believe it's all over and everything is so good. I agree with you, GymGuy, that exercise and being as active as one is permitted is key. It sure has been for me, as well.
Good job!!
karla

Another great positive story with an amazing recovery. Well done! You are an inspiration. :)

For me its all about common sense. My first OHS was in 2001, I had a very good recovery and the last ten years has been amazing,led a completely normal life. I believe how you handle your recovery in those early days post op shapes how you will be in the coming years. My 2nd OHS is very soon and I`m going to do exactly what I did with my first op.Well done on a very good recovery

You and me both, Gym Guy. I am four months post op and consider myself totally recovered. I do everything. I have no more sternum pain, even if I sneeze. I feel good. I only take low dose aspirin and the irbesartin I was taking pre-op. I refuse to take the Crestor my dumb cardiologist prescribes. I exercise at the pool five days per week. I run my dogs in agility. I am grateful to the surgical team at St. Paul's in Vancouver. Life is good.

Gymguy, Great news that your recovery has gone so well. Going in for MV repair/replacement in a couple weeks. I've bought the book you recommended and am glad I did. Great info; I plan to follow your lead of positive thoughts and lots of exercise. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing updates from people who have had surgery. Thanks for keeping us updated!

And, I'm glad to hear you are doing great! How's your baby?

You and me both, Gym Guy. I am four months post op and consider myself totally recovered. I do everything. I have no more sternum pain, even if I sneeze. I feel good. I only take low dose aspirin and the irbesartin I was taking pre-op. I refuse to take the Crestor my dumb cardiologist prescribes. I exercise at the pool five days per week. I run my dogs in agility. I am grateful to the surgical team at St. Paul's in Vancouver. Life is good.

Hi Dgreenbee
Glad to hear that you are going well. Just though that I would mention that I am on 'Crestor' medication 'for 'high'
cholesterol. The cardiologists don't put people on medication for no reason, and being honest, it is very dangerous
saying such things! Everybodies recovery is different, and it is always best to chat to your doctor about these thing first, before action.
You might be annoyed by my reply, but I lossed a good friend of mine because someone said that he shouldn't be on medication - he stopped, and took his life!
Kind Regards
Brian

Good to hear your recovery went well. I considered my own recovery as one that also went extremely well. My hobby is our boat , I couldn't believe that in March of this year I was hammering out maintenance
and getting ready for the cruising season.

The only difference I see is when I get cut, I bleed like a stuck hog, learned to cope by carrying more band-aids ....LOL.
One thing I did badly..........after exercising for the first 3 months or so I then stopped.....bad move, I made work my excuse not to continue.
I began again last week and cannot believe how much lung capacity I lost , now starting over......so if ya get in the groove, stay there and don't do what I did ( not necessarily directed to you gym guy, I think your addicted to exercise from what I have read :) )
That is pretty much my only regret.
Brad

Bradvo,

Check out Mechanix brand gloves. They make several different styles. Great for reducing cuts when doing heavy wrenching. I found them on Amazon, Summitt racing and at Walmart. Mechanix also sells them through their web site.

Gary

bocco, thanks...I really need to remember to take some extra precautions , like when cleaning crab......I have never done it without cutting myself on shells.

Wanted to say "Hi there folks". I am glad you are all doing well. There is never a good reason not to get a little bit of exercise into your life. You generally feel so much better after a little workout. It could even be a brisk walk outside for 20-30 minutes, but every day this thing will add up to better lung capacity, better blood circulation, lower blood pressure, I could go on forever with the pro's.

Also, I am super clumsy and get cut here and there, I still seem to heal up decently. It takes about 20 seconds of pressure to stop things. My rule of thumb is to keep pressure on any cut for 20 Mississippi's and when you take the pressure off "no blood" - voila.

Latest posts

Back