2nd Surgery Scheduled

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Hunter

Hello all,
As the title states, I am having my second surgery soon. Just go home last night from 2 days of preoperative testing at CCF.
Just a brief history, in 2000 I had the ross Procedure at CCF performed by Dr. Gustov Petterssen. This was done due to severe insufficiency of the aortic valve and an ascending aortic aneurysm. Prognosis had been great for the last 15 years. Valves doing pretty good and aneurysm that we had known about for about 11 years. It had stayed stable and I was just going on with my life.
Well, at my last check up, we discovered that my aneurysm had decided to begin to grow and my cardio and surgeon both agreed it was time to intervene. So....
The plan forward is to have surgery on December 8th at Cleveland Clinic. Dr Petterssen will be performing the reverse Ross (the valves are leaking pretty good as well and I want to get it all taken care of and have my best chance of not having to do this again.) putting an On-X aortic valve in my aortic position and installing a Dacron graph to replace my entire ascending aorta and putting my native pulmonic valve back where it originally was!!!!

If you are interested in following along we started a caringbridge account for folks to follow my progress. it is: www.caringbridge.org/visit/bensmith1973
Thanks all for any prayers and well wishes as my family and I work through this journey!

Sorry the Ross needs replacing, but glad it gave you a good 15 years. I always think it needs to be considered a bit like a homograft or a really good tissue but with better haemodynamics and the chance of lasting longer if you're lucky. But you do always need to be prepared for another surgery. The reverse Ross is a pretty cool surgery! Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Thanks for the update, Turkey Hunter. Happy to hear you have a plan and date so you can get "er done" and get back on track with your life.
I will check the Caring Bridge post. Sending my most positive thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery. You are in good hands at CCF.

Good they decided to move forward hope every thing goes very well for you Turkey Hunter l actually go for my pre op that very same day. I will watch for your updates !

Latest posts

Back