2nd Surgeons Visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

I've decided to stay local this time around. I'm comfortable with the surgeon.

Hello Everyone

Here is the most recent update to my upcoming surgery.

After all the testing has been done, the CATSCAN reveals a couple of things not seen in any other tests.

Issue 1. There appears to be a sac of fluid or blood outside of the pericardium lodged between the heart and lung. It is unclear what this is, but it looks to be attached. At this point, it remains a mystery to be dealt with during surgery.

Issue 2. There appears to be another ascending aortic dissection higher then the original. The Doctor said that where this one is located, he would leave it alone, as trying to do anything with it would place me in real trouble.

Issue 3. The blood clot in the apex of the heart. The surgeon is going to try and go in with a small scope and take it out.

Surgery is a go. I have to be taken off the Coumadin for 10 days before surgery. This will allow my clotting factors to return to normal. The Doctor has scheduled me to see a General Surgeon next Thursday, May 9th, to see if he can coordinate and be there for the surgery also, so that they can repair my "Alien" Incisional hernia after the heart is taken care of. Surgical Pretesting is set for next Thursday also.

Given the timing now, It would be at least May 19th, at the very earliest. I'm going to request that this surgery be done shortly after June 7th. Lyn and I will have our 22nd wedding anniversary on the 7th and my youngest son, Chris, will graduate high school on the 7th. I see no need to disrupt these
events.Besides, it's only 3 weeks longer and given the high risk assessment of this surgery, I don't want to mess all this up.

I'm going to be the Surgeon's one and only surgery on surgery day. His pet peeve project. He is devoting the entire day to me only. He normally does 2 surgeries per day. The plan is to use the St.Jude Mechanical Aortic Valve, but I may have no choice and have to go with a Tissue valve, if things don't work out anatomically. There are a lot of "ifs and maybes" to this surgery. The problems are related to the previous aneurysm repair and make everything somewhat of a guessing game or wait and see.

Here is a link to the valve of choice for this replacement.

http://www.sjm.com/products/heartvalves/mechanical/aorticvalvedgraft.shtm

I'll let all of you know the exact date when I get it.

Ross

Last edited:
Dear Ross:

I can certainly understand your decision. An anniversary (always so special), and a high school graduation are super important events in your family's history. You would want to fully enjoy them.

It sounds as though your surgeon is taking extra special care of you, and that you are in good hands.

Wayne and I will say extra special prayers for you in these weeks leading up to the surgery. The procedure sounds complicated, with a couple of mysteries, but I am sure, in the end, it will have been worth it. Wishing you the best, and peace over the upcoming weeks.

Marybeth

Thank You Marybeth

After these new developments, I'm very uneasy about the whole thing. I told the surgeon that I'm sick of worrying and losing sleep over this and just want it to be over.

I'll need to draw inner strength from everyone, as this kind of shook me up a bit. I have no control over the outcome, so I'll leave the outcome to the creator and trust that whatever it may be, it was his will.

Ross,

I'm so glad things are moving forward for you. Seems like youv'e been waiting forever. It sounds like you are good hands.

I'll be thinking of you the next few weeks as your date nears. Take care, and enjoy your anniversary and son's graduation.

Chris

Dear Ross - it is comforting to know that your surgeon is going to devote his entire day to you. With the things you mentioned that he will be addressing, it is important that he is yours for the day. We are right here in case you want to vent from now til then.

Congratulate your son on his education and also your anniversary. Two very important events to celebrate. Just take care of yourself and keep checking in til time to head out. God bless

Thanks mainframe, Yes, it does seem like I've waited forever. With each passing week, I expected a date that never came. Now, I'm afforded the opportunity to say "when" unless my heart decides otherwise between now and then.

Hensylee, thank you also. I've watched 2 of my 3 graduate and this last one has been a real handfull. I never thought I'd get him to stay in school. He see's no need for a diploma and it's difficult to get through to him. I really feel that I've accomplished something with him. He's mad at me, because he had enough credits to graduate last year. He was only 16 going on 17 and there just aren't any jobs for someone that young. I wasn't going to have him sit at home with idle hands. We made him go this last year, so that he could get his Auto Body Technical Certification and to keep him off the streets. I'm not going to pass the opportunity up to see him walk the stage and receive the diploma that I feel he richly deserves. This graduation thing is more important to me then my anniversary, if that makes any sense. I hope that my heart will cooperate until then. It has been agonizingly slow coming to a surgery date.

hi ross!
sorry to hear about the number of things that need to be addressed, but, as the others before me said: the surgeon will have the entire day to devote to you and only you. i would certainly feel more than comfortable with that.
the waiting, as you may have read, is truly the worst part. you just want the day to come and go. we'll keep you company while you wait. call on us anytime.
you must be so proud, your littlest one graduating. ( my oldest is graduating this june).
congratulations on this and on your anniversary_ how many years?
i'm sure the 3 weeks won't make a huge difference, so worth it for those important "once in a lifetime" events.
we will be here with you and praying for you as the day approaches.
be well and enjoy,
sylvia

Hi Sylvia

22 years to the crazy woman, er, the same woman.
Anyone who can put up with me for 22 years has got to be crazy! :D

The waiting thing isn't driving me as crazy as I thought it would. Maybe that's because they've drawn this out since November? I know I've been waiting a heck of a long time. So long in fact, I thought you all would be ready to boot me outta here by now. :)

Ross:

I have said the "Our Father", more times in the past 10 months, than I said in my first 50 years of living. I put particular emphasis on "Thy will be done..........." After your surgery, you will be saying "for the praise and glory of His name". At this point try to "Let go, and Let God take over". He is much better at this than we are. Our prayers for you, and this most special time for your family, will continue over the coming weeks.

Marybeth

Ooops....one more:

When life knocks you to your knees, you are in a good position to pray."

Mb

Hi Marybeth

That is exactly my position on the matter now.
I still get some disturbing thoughts that run through my mind, but for the most part, It's now up to God and HIS will.

Hello Ross

I think now that you have a tentative date, once that is nailed down, you'll feel better. I hated the period before I had my date.

It sounds like your docs are being very thourough pre-op. Take it from me, that's a GOOD THING.

Best wishes.

It sure is good to see Johnny posting here again!

Ross, sounds like you and I have been married the same period of time. Pretty rare these days. You are sure dealing with a full plate, but you sure seem to be dealing well with all the decisions. Enjoy all your upcoming family events, and before you know it you'll be like Johnny...all through with this and back here giving us pre-op neophytes encouragement!

--John

Latest posts

Back