2nd Rodeo - Wahoo Let Er Buck!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfreeman62

Much better results this time - http://prorodeo.com/results_page.aspx#laststand - horse worked great and I didn't even think about my heart until guys were congratulating me - and asking about my surgery. - Almost exactly 6 months post surgery and I won the 2nd go round and placed 4th in the average in the Last Stand Rodeo in Coulee City WA - I am signed up for a two week tour of the country hitting 7 rodeos in a triangle from Belle Fourche S Dakot to Prineville Oregon to Pecos Texas...better keep hitting the gym.

While I am more than happy to toot my own horn, pat myself on the back etc - my motivation to post my exploits is to give hope to those on the other side of surgery or just coming out of it.

I know that when I was told I had to have the surgery I really felt like my life was over, that I wasn't in the game any more. I felt like a ghost haunting my own life. Boy was I wrong. In less than six months I am back in the game, better than ever.

I also want people to be aware of how great a role physical conditioning plays in recovery. I know we all face varying restrictions on our exercise because of our hearts but that just makes it even more important that we be careful about what we eat and be as active as we can. I am no health food nut but I eat pretty fresh and don't eat too much. I exercise regularly, to the limits set by my doctor. I did this both pre and post surgery. I was walking laps in the hospital the day after surgery and went home after three days - and I was a rodeo competitor four months post surgery.

I think the amazing medical staff at St. Lukes in Boise gets most of the credit but the second most important part is that my body was as fit as possible pre-surgery and I followed up with diligent rehab post surgery.

Escargome - Prineville Oregon will be the closest I get to California all year - which isn't too far from some parts of California, but a long ways from other parts. California is such a looonnnggg state.

John,

Will you participate in the PRCA rodeo at the Twin Falls County Fair this year? If so, perhaps I could watch and maybe meet you. I'm glad your recovery has been good enough to allow you to return to rodeo. I exhibit 30 to 60 chickens and other stuff at the fair every year. Maybe you could stop by the Poultry Barn and check them out. :)

Chris

Hi Chris

I won't compete in Twin Falls - they don't feature the event I compete in at the pro level- single steer roping. The closest will probably be Union Oregon and Pendleton Oregon. I do team rope at the amateur level and if I get near Twin I will let you no

I have a few competitors on the pro circuit as patients. My own riding instructor is a barrel racer. I think you are doing a great job. Keep it up. Life doesn't have to end just because we have a heart surgical procedure.

I also agree that post surgical condition plays a very important role in recovery. I think it is as important as the immediate activity we need to resume following surgery--immediate walking.

here is a link to website you might be intrested in:
http://www.cardiacathletes.org.uk/

Latest posts

Back