2nd OHS in 9 months!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAB9

Greetings--I am new to the forum and am wanting to see if anyone has had this experience. Never had any previous heart problems and then September of 2011 became very sick, after many tests, etc. it was found that I had Bacterial Endocarditis--they also found that my mitral valve had too much prolapse and would require OHS--the good news, they said if I had not gotten sick, I would have died from heart failure within a few years (I was 42 at the time, am 43 now). Soooo, went in for a mitral valve repair on 11/11/11--the recovery was brutal, most painful thing I have ever experienced--had A-Fib, etc., and was off work for 2 months. I went in for a TEE test in April to make sure all was well......it was not....they do not really know what happened, but the repair "didn't work". I go in to see the surgeon on Monday to schedule my date for what is needed now, a valve replacement. It will happen sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, and once again will require the full cut down the middle. I have been really depressed lately, the feeling of having that whole experience behind me was replaced with the fear of doing it all over again. Has anyone else had 2 OHS within 9 months? I am wondering if the recovery will be easier or harder--the surgeon has told me the operation is more difficult this time due to scar tissue, etc. I know what to expect this time.......and that is almost the worst part!! Would love to hear anyone's thoughts who has had this happened. Thank you!

I'm fairly certain that there have been a couple of people on here who have had to have a second surgery fairly quickly after their first ones, but just can't think of who they are at the moment. I'm sorry your first surgery seemed so brutal, hopefully this next one won't since you know what to expect and it won't be as much of a surprise. Also, just because you went into a-fib after the first one doesn't mean you will this time. I really wonder about your pain control since you were in so much pain. That just shouldn't be, there are plenty of drugs available to make that go away. I would definitely bring this up pre-op and tell them you have a higher expectation this time that they will control it.

Most of us who have had more than one surgery are told that the second surgery has the exact same risks as the first one (it's not until the 3rd one that the risks increase). If I were in your shoes, I may seek out a different surgeon who maybe has more experience with re-do's for a second opinion at the very least. It can't hurt and will give you more options.

I too am so very sorry to hear that your first surgery was so painful and that you need to do this again so soon!!!!

I just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you!

Rachel

I'm sorry. I had a second OHS 4 years after the first, to replace a second valve and repair a third. I know how sick you must have been for your first surgery, and understand how you must be feeling, as my first illness/surgery/recovery was also rough.

Please know you HAVE to have this surgery. And the second one should not be as difficult for you. Hopefully you are healthier now than for your first surgery, and that will help. Plus, you know what's coming, and how to deal with it. It may be a tad more difficult for your surgeon, but not too much. Your recovery may be faster too. But 2 months off work is only NORMAL. I was barely functioning at 3 months post surgery #1. Surgery #2 was much better, although it still took 8+ weeks before I was back to work.

But you can expect lots of anxiety before this surgery - last time was soo fast you couldn't deal with that until afterwards. And you are still dealing with it. I'm a big proponent of anti-anxiety meds in the right circumstances. And these are the right circumstances, so don't hesitate to ask your doctor or surgeon for some chemical help to get through the pre- and post- surgical stress.

hey man i no how your feeling, ive had 4 heart valve surgery, the 3rd was big konno procedure and aortic in dec 2010 which i picked up endocarditis from for the 2nd time i spent from june 16 till october 3rd in hospital - i then had prothetic endorcarditis on both new mechanical and repaired mitral- 5 months in hospital later 2 tia and 1 stoke in intensive care and i made it thro-just! and remarkably in great shape and recovered from my stoke to- which was the most remoarkable as i lost my speech and my left movement all the way down.. and at the moment no af - so stay positive and keep that mindset strong man- for the record my second opp was easier iwas in and out in 5 day... good luck

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. I know it will all be fine, just hard to move on until I get done with this!! My chest is still sore from the last one! Oh well, this too shall pass!

Hope all goes well- I had min. invasive surgery Jan 17 2011 ( no such thing as min invasive surgery) and found the valve leaking and replaced in August 2011 with a Medtronic piggy - I have been through the mill also- But I recovered quicker through the full open heart surgery than the min. invasive. - The only thing I have trouble shaking the bad memories- but each day is a small bit better and I concentrate on my grandaughter.

Well, tomorrow it is time for surgery #2! Even knowing what to expect, I am nervous tonight, can't wait for this to be over!

I remember the night before my second OHS was a rough night. My mind wouldn't stop whirling around but strangely when I arrived at the hospital early the next morning, I was remarkably calm and just gave myself over to the professionals and they took wonderful care of me.

Sending you all good vibes for a successful surgery and easy, fast healing.
Godspeed.........

I was the same way as Jkm7, I basically had a nervous break down the night before, it all just hit me very quickly after months of knowing of my surgery. Slept well, woke up in a very calm state of mind, and let go. It was out of my hands and it had to be done. I trusted my surgeon and it was up to him and his team from there. Crazy enough I can come home from work and be stressed or not and just sit and relax..but I will never be as relaxed as I was that morning, unlike anything I had felt and have yet to since. Crazy how that works.

Latest posts

Back