2nd Mitral Valve operation scheduled for October 21st

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

Well, I had my Mitral Valve repaired minimally invasive approach at NYU in November 2003. I have had leaking that got worse about 3 or 4 years after the repair and it's steadily gotten worse.

I made the wise decision to ignore it and not see my doctor for about 1 1/2 years and just went in to see my new cardiologist (same as I saw at NYU 8 years ago.)

He took one look at the EKG and said he will get me an echo test immediately but he said he knows for certain I need to get the valve fixed or replaced.

He was right..and this is all happening very fast...I saw the cardiologist Tuesday, the surgeon (Dr. Galloway) Thursday and it's be quickly determined I need surgery pretty quickly.

Prognosis is good..We're going with a Tissue valve, unfortunately minimally invasive surgery is not possible and the odds of a repair are unlikely but if it's possible it will be repaired.

I'm lucky to live a short distance from the hospital...I'm positive about the eventual outcome but really not looking forward to the emotional roller coaster and all that might ensue...But...it's better than the alternative.

Good luck to all facing surgery!

Good luck to u and will keep u on my prayers. Im looking at having my 3rd ohs fr aortic valve leakage. Keep positive! Sometimes when things go faster its better because you dont have time dwell on it and before you know it you will be done with surgery and on the road to recovery.

Thanks for the post daria. It's so true...I just couldn't pull the trigger on this surgery a couple of years ago, even when I was certain I needed it. Hindsight is always 20/20 and easy to say.. i know I am lucky to be near a great hospital (walking distance) and got in fast to see cardiologist and fast (two week) surgery date. It's all good but I do of course dread not the surgery but the recovery...trying not to think about it but not necessarily succeeding...Last time I got rocked with depression about 6 weeks into recovery...God I hope this goes smoothly...but overall yes...I am lucky and have a positive attitude...Do it now!

You've been through this twice! and now a third...Tell me it gets easier? I guess it's easy to say do it sooner rather than later..but it's sure a hard thing to decide to do.. Best of luck to you too!

I got the results of my echo today. I appreciate how responsive they are..One phone call and 60 seconds I had the email results.

Guess this could be worse? and will be better! (i hope!)

Aortic Root LA Diameter LA VolIndex
IV Septum LVEDD Inf-Lat Wall L VESD
LVED Vol Index LV MassIndex
Value 3.4cm 5.4cm 44mUrfr
118s/m'?
Normal
54.lcm LVOT Diameter
s3.8G4.0) LVOT Area <29 LVOT SV
LVOT Vmax(rest) <r.1(<1.2) LVOT dPmax(rest) s5.3(36.0) LVOT Vmax(Vals)
<l.t(<1.2) LVOT dPmax(Vals)
A V V m a x
<75 AV PeakGradient
se5(sl15) AV MeanGradient AV Area
50-70% Aortic RegurgePll2
Normal
1 . 0 1- . 7 1A
LvEF
RAP,mean 3mmHg
0.6-1.3 <15 MVArea 4-6
P ASP PADP RV.RA PA.RV LA, mean
Mitral E Mitral A Mitral E/A DecelTime Mitral P 1/2 E'(medial) E'(lateral) E/E'
26mmHg 23mmHg
0-5 MVEwaveVmax <35 MV MeanGradient
NYU LangoneMedicalCenter Adult EchocardiographLyaboratory 560FirstAvenueN, ewYork,NY 10016
-5664 -8461 Tel-212-263 Fax-212-263
2D TransthoracicEchoReport
ICAEL
Undiagnosecdardiacmurmurs-785.2.
PV S/D
Normalvaluesin parentheseasrespecificfor men; normalaorticroot valuesadjustedfor ageandBSA.
88bpm
<12
>8 >8 <8
TV E waveVmax TV Mean Gradient
RVOT Diameter RVOT Area RVOTSV RVOT Vmax
PVVmax
PV PeakGradient
BP IIR
Final
0.3-0.7
0.6-0.9
{,.(ilrd
l,hr.rrr
t {*,,
Page1of 3
TECHNIQUE:
S t u d y q u a l i t y w a s excellent.
FINDINGS:
Left Heart:
-There is severeleft atrialdilatation(LA volumeindex44 mUmr).
- -The left ventricle is mildly dilated.
- The basal and mild inferolaterawall is kinetic The basal inferior wall is hypo kinetic C o n t r a c t i l i t y o f a l l r e m a i n i n g LV segmentisnormal. LV ejectionfractionisborderlinenormal.
Legend: 5:aneurysmal
Mitral Valve:
-Patientis s/pmitral annuloplasty.Thereis mitralregurgitation.Eccentricmitralregurgitationdiected anteriorly/superiorlyi.t appearsatleastmoderate.
Aortic Valve:
-There is traceaorticregurgitation.
Aorta:
-The aorticrootisnormalin size.No aorticaneurysmorcoarctationonthesuprasternavliew.
Right Heart and SystemicVeins:
--Theright atrialpressureis normal(0 - 5 mmHg). Thereis no pulmonaryhypertension. TricuspidValve:
--Thereismild tricuspidregurgitation.
PulmonicValve:
--Thereis tracepulmonicregurgitation.
Pericardiumand Effusions:
-There is no pericardialeffusion.
CONCLUSION:
-The inferolatera(l posterior)wall is thinnedout.
-There is severeleft atrialdilatation(LA volumeindex44 mVm,).
-The left ventricleis mildly dilated.
-The basalandmid inferolaterawl all is akinetic.Thebasalinferiorwall is hypokinetic.Contractilityof all remaining LV segmentisnormal.
-LV ejectionfractionisborderlinenormal.
-The rightheartisnormal.
-There is traceaorticregurgitation.
-There is no vegetationseen.
-Patientis s/pmitral annuloplasty.Thereis mitralregwgitation.
-The right atrialpressureis normal(0 - 5 mmHg). Thereis no pulmonaryhypertension.
-There is no pericardialeffusion.

Back