2nd AVR Chest Crack

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi cwm, I had my second 'chest crack' - I love that description lol, early this year in April. What was their reason for giving you a minimally invasive procedure first time around? - I wish I had that for my first time.

Cleveland Clinic was offering that in 2004 but in my decision on which valve ( mechanical or tissue) I would have chosen mechanical if they would have told me they were going to crack my chest on the second AVR.

skip with the theatrical metaphors and I think you'll be on the road to being fine.

I've had my full sternectomy 3 times now, first at about 10, second at about 28 and most recent at about 48 (nearly 5 years ago).

Things like Scar Tissue build up make operations more complex each time .. myself EVERY time I've tried to replace some internal motor part on my car or bike by trying to save doing it the full open way something goes wrong with my plan and I have to pull the covers off anyway.

May as well maximise the visibilty for the surgeon and maximise that they can do a good job in the minimal time with no stuffups.

You'll be asleep anyway ...

Best Wishes for a smooth recovery

I was really pleased when I discovered that the sternum is ‘cracked’ because I have a slightly depressed sternum and have seen from CT scans that my heart is virtually touching my sternum. When I asked my cardiac surgeon how the sternum was cut through without damaging the heart just on the other side, since it would be right there, she just told me not to worry (patronising to an extreme degree) and wouldn’t explain. I then watched a YouTube video of cardiac surgery and discovered that they don’t saw right through the depth of the sternum bone but only partway though and then ‘crack’ it open, thereby not damaging the heart or anything else right under/behind it !

Sometimes the choice of procedure is driven by other concurrent surgical requirements. When I had my valve replaced, I also needed a bypass, so they did a full median sternotomy. When I expressed my chagrin to my surgeon, he promised me that the recovery and pain levels were the same with either, and with the full sternotomy he would have better access to do his job. I was satisfied with that reasoning and told him so.

The other dimension to the incision is the cut itself. Different surgeons use incisions of different lengths to do the same op. My incision scar is only about 4 inches long, and the surgeon ran the cut on a slight angle so that the top of the incision is off-center. That way, if I wear a shirt with the top button open, the scar doesn't show. I didn't ask for these "features" but I did thank him for his consideration afterward.

I had minimally invasive surgery for my MVR. The surgeon said it was easier to do the surgery that way. Cut under the right pec. Hardly shows now.

Back