29 Year old with aortic valve replacement - Question about life expectancy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They tell me the Dacron grafts "never" have problems, but somehow mine had 3 leaks. One of the arteries to my heart had detached from the graft. I would have died, except that original surgeon had wrapped tissue from my aneurysm around the graft. It held the artery, and with the other leaks made it's own sort of bypass. They went in + resewed the graft + artery + removed the old tissue. Surgeon said he thinks I should be all set for the rest of my life. I believe him. He is a great surgeon, and a wonderful doctor.

I am new to this site and am glad to have found this Thread. I have been scouring the web for other 30 year olds who have had an AVR to compare thoughts, experiences and issues. Aim scheduled for an aortic and pulmonic valve replacement as well as a repair to my apparently huge aortic aneurysm (5.9cm)! Looks like I'm getting the trifecta just shortly after my 30th birthday.

Hi

I have posted on here a couple of times before

not sure if I've answered you before, but ...

I am a 29 year old male who recently underwent aortic valve replacement with a mechanical valve on January 10. I had a bicuspid aortic valve that was diagnosed 6 months ago during a routine checkup. After a 6 month evaluation, my aortic regurgitation was moderate but was causing my left ventricle to become very large, so two different surgeons recommended going ahead and replacing the valve. I opted for the mechanical valve as the surgeon said it would "last a lifetime."

I guess my question now is just how long my lifetime will be?!?!

that's a good question. Just for background information I'm nearly 50, was diagnosed BAV very early, had an operation to repair this at about 9, a cryopreserved homograft valve put in at about 28 and this valve put in at about 48. I have been a keen (read crazy) cyclist (although now I'm just a practical cyclist), ride motorbikes and do cross country skiing.

Guessing your lifespan is the stuff bookmakers (aka gambling) people make money on. However from what I see here you've got every reason to live as long as your age group cohort. In fact probably longer.

The factors of your heart issues will likely play a far far less significant role than other factors
  • smoking
  • dangerous activities (base jumping and mountaineering)
  • healthy living (exersize and diet)

So kick back and relax in the knowledge that you were born into a generation where being born with a BAV is among the most fixable of things.

The only other thing is managing your INR (as you said you have a mechanical). This won't effect your lifespan much but will mean you have less (probably no) issues bleeds or clots, and from the standpoint that your more likely to be caring for yourself as part of your weekly routine.

I guess I'm probably also suffering from a little post op depression. If anyone has any thoughts they would be most appreciated!

probably, and perhaps if you are anything like me, some disorientation of logic due to the anesthetic and what gets called "pump head" around these parts.

:)

See ya

I see that your original post is dated Feb/2012 so by now you've already had your 1st Valversary! I hope that all is going well with you and enjoying life to the fullest!

Take care! :)

Bigkeger, I want to share with you my experience as I was 36 when I had my second bypass with aortic valve replacement with St. Jude's valve. I did heal very well, although it took the muscles a year to heal. I did what the doctor told me in taking care. I was able to go back to work 4 weeks after surgery. And you are never to young for surgery, and you will be just fine. Just keep coming in here with any questions you may have before and after surgery. I am now 48 and doing well.

Latest posts

Back