28 years, still ticking along

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckVSP

28 years ago today, a young fellow from the mountains of Southwest Virginia got a second start by having a damaged aortic valve replaced and mitral repaired. A nasty case of endocarditis was to blame.

The weather today kind of reminded me of that, as we drove through an ice storm on Feb 28, 1982 to get to Duke University. What was normally a four hour trip took us more than eight (with my dad driving in 4 wheel drive most of the trip). For what it seems, I have always had this ticking noise, and had lots of fun explaining what it is (biological clock ticking, I swollowed a watch, etc).

The original Starr-Edwards valve was replaced in 2001, along with the mitral (not a valve failure, but aortic aneurysm). The recovery process was diferent for a 39 year old as compared to 19 year old, and being at Duke as a college freshman (at another school) was nice. So all in all, I am glad to be on this side of the dirt.

Chuck, congratulations on 28 years. I still have my Starr-Edwards AV. Fortunately for me, I have needed no other surgeries so far. I imagine if I needed any type of surgery where they needed to open my chest, they would probably replace mine. I agree that it is nice to still be on this side of of the dirt....or as we say in Kentucky, I'm still looking DOWN at the grass.

Latest posts

Back