25 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas999

Back in Dec of 1987 I had an aneurysm in my aorta that also destroyed my valve. The surgery was called an 'aortic valve prosthesis'. The surgeons replaced about 5 inches of my aorta with dacron mesh. A St. Jude valve was stitched in prior to surgery and then entire unit was installed. As I type, I can hear the valve tinking away. I retired earlier this year because I financially could, and to enjoy the freedom. My INR level has fluctuated throughout the years on avg from 2 to 4, except for one instance it jumped to 11.8. This was due to medication interactions, and I had to be hospitalized. Now that it has been consistently around 3.0, I only check it once a month or two. Before my surgery, I didn't travel much, but after my surgery I traveled extensively. Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Caribbean, Alaska, Portugal, Azores, Bimini, to name a few. I have swam with dolphins, sperm whales, seen the aurora borealis, camped in the wilds of Africa. The reason I relate my travel adventures is to say I feel I have something in common with people who have had major surgery, a desire to prove the reliability of the surgery, and a new found appreciation for life. I often read of people, who have had major events in their lives, sort of 'pressing the limits' of their beings, and participating in events that they never would have done if they didn't have a the major surgery.
I have read the threads with the question of "mechanical or tissue" valve decision. I have a mechanical valve, and if it needs to be replaced, OHS is the only way for me. I don't look forward to that, if needed. Plus, I would love to get off the Warfarin. To each his own. At age 57, I am retired, shoot target pistol/rifle weekly, learning to play electric guitar, and love golfing.

I always find it reassuring when I hear stories about longevity. My situation might be a little different with the new implanted aorta, but I get the impression, with my experience as well, the mechanical valves last a looong time.

Congrats on your 25 years and may you get another 25 or more. I also love golfing in Michigan twice a week and am trying to learn the guitar. Thanks for the post it reassures me I have a long life left ahead of me..

Thanks for your post. I am a Michiganer and live in the north with all the great golf courses! lol I know this cuz my husband is an avid golfer. I grew up in "East Detroit" now know as EAst Pointe/ Loved reading your post, it comforted me especially since I am facing OHS on the 7th of JAN. I want so much to be on the other side of this procedure, I want to be able to console others that it "wasnt that bad" lol. I want it to be part of my medical history rather than it defing everything in my life for the last few months.. My sister is in the medical field that met someone with a animal valve and has had it for the last 20 years. I was excited to hear that since I feel my surgeon wants me to go with animal.

WE are going to have a white Christmas for sure, watching the first of the 12 inches they are predicting to come down. Have a wonderful Christmas Season.

thanks all,
@katm,
20 years for a bio valve is encouraging, plus you won't have to take thinners. Hope the best for your surgery, doctors have this procedure down to a science.
@ Randy,
I like golfing, and I am learning the guitar as well. Strange. I think a major event like this motivates people to live life.

loving the post. congrats on 25, and to many many more. I have to agree, this eye-opening surgeries should encourage us to get out there and do more.

Latest posts

Back