2 years post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryen0

Well i will celebrate my 2 year mitral valve repair anniversary tomorrow. Had an Echo done today and the doc said the valve still looks really good. He also mentioned that my heart pumping strength (i'm assuming he means ejection fraction) is the same as it was last year. It is about 5% below normal. He didn't seem too concerned about it and said that he would see me in a year. So wanted to ask the more experienced members of the forum if 5% below normal EF is anything of consequence... I know that a fixed valve won't always ensure that your heart will completely recover back to it's former glory, but i was hoping that my stats would eventually go back to normal. Any thoughts?

Ryan, from what I read and from discussions with my Cardio, the heart may never return to completely normal (as in before the valve damage began) but that changes may continue to take place for five years or so. This is a subject that I seen little discussion about in VR. Part of that may be that after a while other things in our life leave us less time to post here so the audience is much smaller. If I see something, I'll let you know. Take care.

Larry

Congrats on #2!

I would think by now, if your heart were going to bounce back, it would have by now. Sorry to say, you may have suffered some minimal damage, but I wouldn't sweat over 5% and certainly wouldn't sweat it if that was by echo. Echoes aren't the greatest tool for accuracy.

Happy 2... Sorry I missed this one.

Thanks. I guilted people into replying :) i kid, i kid.

Ryan, from what I read and from discussions with my Cardio, the heart may never return to completely normal (as in before the valve damage began) but that changes may continue to take place for five years or so. This is a subject that I seen little discussion about in VR. Part of that may be that after a while other things in our life leave us less time to post here so the audience is much smaller. If I see something, I'll let you know. Take care.

Larry

That thought crossed my mind too. I know that fixing the valve doesn't guarantee that the heart will go back to normal completely. I would appreciate any info that you may come across in the future.

Congrats on #2!

I would think by now, if your heart were going to bounce back, it would have by now. Sorry to say, you may have suffered some minimal damage, but I wouldn't sweat over 5% and certainly wouldn't sweat it if that was by echo. Echoes aren't the greatest tool for accuracy.

Thanks, and this is true. I'm at 50% which is normal, but the very lowest of normal. Interesting enough i was at 55% five months post-op. The nurse said that could be because i was on a beta blocker then and am not now. Didn't know that effected EF. Well, at any rate i'm as happy as a clam that the valve is still in good shape and hopefully with diet and exercise maybe i can get the EF higher in time.

Hi Ryan,
Sorry I don't have an answer for your question, but I do like Mentu's explanation. I want to wish you a happy 2nd valversary and wishing you many more!

sorry I missed this in the anniversary section....if u desire more replies about the EF post in Heart Talk.
Also, Congrats on #2
I am on Beta Blockers and my EF was 65% and most recently 69%. My valve is extremely forceful which could account for my reading, since I am not athletic by any means.

Latest posts

Back