15 years and still clicking…

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mknuppel

IMG_8380.jpeg
❤️

15 years, as if July 27. St Jude mechanical, no physical limitations post surgery. Blood thinners never a problem. I test INR at home and maintain range through changing dosage, not diet.
Current valve was a redo, because o insufficient infection control. Second surgery discovered a hole in my heart which initially was thought to be mitrovalve regurgitation. As another member stated: surgery at Stanford was fast, effective and hospital stay was 5 days. 1st Aortic valve was destroyed when I contracted endocarditis from a dental procedure. I also had a brain aneurysm from the bacteria. Total hospitalization and cognitive therapy took 116 days. I was fortunate to have a sister who is the Director of Cardiology administrator and who made the valve choices which were best for my athletic life style at 53.

15 years, as if July 27
Excellent! Well done!

St Jude mechanical, no physical limitations post surgery
Same valve as I have and also no limitations other than giving up machete juggling. ;)

Blood thinners never a problem
Same here.

I test INR at home and maintain range through changing dosage, not diet.
This has also been my experience. Nearly every one of us on the board tend to give this message, until we are blue in the face, about not needing to change our diets once we are on warfarin. Dose the diet, don't diet the dose, as we way. There is also now significant published literature to support this. Still, it is remarkable how many people still make these type of comments as they face valve choice: " I know the guidelines say I should get a mechanical valve, but I really like eating vegetables." As your comment suggests, and as we have experienced, we can still eat our vegetables, and if we want to be as healthy as possible, the last thing a person should do is stop eating vegetables.

Keep up the good work and here's to many many more years!

People are frightened by heart valve surgery as open heart surgery is an ominous thought. How long will I live after surgery, will I have limitations, etc. the fact remains, your longevity without the surgery is almost assuredly short and with intelligent lifestyle choices after surgery may be no different then a person your age will experience. As FDR do famously quoted: we have nothing to fear but fear itself.
15 year AVR survivor in the peak of health and fitness.
David Robbins

I’ve had my mechanical aortic valve for 15 years as of July 8th 2023.That was my second valve replacement,the first being a swine valve installed in February of 2001.
I know I really debated on wether to get a swine or mechanical valve at the time. Dr said the swine would be good for about 15 years. Decided to go with the mechanical since there is no way to predict what my health would like in 15 years…

I’ve had my mechanical aortic valve for 15 years as of July 8th 2023.That was my second valve replacement,the first being a swine valve installed in February of 2001.
Hi Ken.
So, it sounds like you must have been a relatively young patient in 2001 when they gave you the tissue valve and that it lasted 7 years. How long did they promise or estimate that it would last for you?

That was my second valve replacement,the first being a swine valve installed in February of 2001.
I'm just wondering, was this a valve from a pig or one from a politician? :unsure: No, wait, that was still unclear: was this a xenograft or a homograft; that's more clear (sadly politicians seem to be from our species)

Back