12c week check up''''got questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginian777

today i had my 12 week check up which incluled a echo and blood work well blood work was good doc said but he said that my heart ef was 40% and wanted to see it at pre surgery of 50 % the va was very busy today so i didn't get to ask all my questions he did say that if my ef is not at 50% by aug 2 my next appointment he could change meds.to increase my question is am i ok. i feel fine a little sluggish little short of breath if i over do it. i wish i would have ask that simple question hey doc am i ok. but so much was gooding on i didn't. it's that 40% that bothers me. thanks a head of time for any input.

Many people lead a full, active life with EF well below 40%. The number is variable and testing of it is not exact science when only measured by ECHO. Don't worry too much. If you were not okay, no matter the VA was busy, your doctor likely would have done whatever was necessary for you.

I don't think 40% is dangerously low but You would probably feel better at 50%. That would be considered to be the low end of normal. Twelve weeks is still early, you're still in the recovery phase. Keep walking, lose weight if you're overweight, watch your salt intake, don't smoke and make sure your blood pressure is well controlled. If you're not already taking a beta blocker (like metoprolol), your doctor may be thinking of putting you on one. A beta blocker would slow down your heart beat and allow the heart to fill more completely before each contraction. That would probably increase your EF like it did for me. Mine is currently 50% and I feel pretty good when exercising. If your doctor was concerned, he wouldn't wait until August to change your meds.

I, too, think you would feel better if the echocardiographic technician had measured an EF higher than 40. I am very impressed with what they do, but not very impressed at all by the EF number. I would suggest insisting of asking a question or two more about it, especially if your treatment is to be changed based on that number.

I personally feel an EF post surgery of 40 is alarming. My pre-surgery EF was 45. My surgeon told me that post surgery it would be 60. The last thing noted in my surgery notes was-according to the TEE probe that was in during my entire surgery was an EF of 60 at the completion of surgery. I have an echo scheduled with my cardiologist on May 20th. I am looking forward to the results of this test.

I can't help with info on EF stats and how they impact us, but I can assure you that it is entirely possible to still feel some "symptoms" at 12 weeks. Heck, I wasn't even able to start cardio rehab until I was 12 weeks out. I then did 12 weeks of rehab and have continued on my own. In spite of surgical complications, a pacemaker and some other issues, I would say that at 2 years out, I am more able than I was at a year or two before surgery. Keep at it, keep your doctors focused on your issues and you will be surprised how well you will soon be.

Latest posts

Back