11 year anniversary 03/19/15

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa2

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Greetings, all. Yesterday marked my 11 year anniversary with my homograft. I have had a relatively easy 11 years. I really need to get in touch with Dr. David McGiffin and thank him again :) He's now retired and living back in Australia - good for him! His standard line to me while I was in the hosptial was that he would be retired by the time I had to have this valve replaced and well, he was right. I have no regrets about my original valve choice.

I am on the countdown now for the next surgery but we know how that goes......it could be a few months or it could be a few years. I have a follow up appointment with Dr. McGiffin's successor, Dr. James Davies, in May. I saw him in Dec. and we agreed to follow up in May for a CT scan to check for scar tissue / aneursym and an echo.
And then....well, we'll take it from there. I had honestly never considered just followig up with the surgeon at 3-6 month intervals rather than seeing my cardiologist and then being referred. He suggested it and my husband and I agreed.

So that's where I am. 11 years of no lifestyle modification and waiting to join the ranks of the INR home testers (notice I skipped the surgery and recovery part, not dwelling on that)!

Hi, Lisa,

I'm not sure how long homograft valves are expected to last, but 11 years isn't too shabby. As long as you're otherwise healthy, you may be in a position to choose the next valve to be the last one you need. Either way, you know a lot about what to expect, but I'd bet that things have progressed just a bit in the 11 years you've been away from the OR.

Wishing you continued good health, wisdom in your choices and the best of luck in your continuing journey.

Latest posts

Back