1 yr post MV Repair - Interesting (Positive) Results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp

Just had a full re-eval at Mayo Clinic 1 yr after Min Invasive Robotic MV Repair with modified maze procedure.

Echo showed significant remodeling (shrinking) of both the left atirum and left ventricle. LV now normal (it had been moderately enlarged) and LA now moderately enlarged. It had been very severe. Cardiologist suggested that, because of the number of years it had been enlarged, I might see further reduction in the years ahead. Ejection fraction, which had been as low as 50% post surgery, now back to 65%. Not too sure if this helped, but I had kept up a fairly diligent exercise routine, slowly working back up to running 20+ miles a week, biking, stairs, and some swimming. Mild regurg on that MV, it had been very severe (before surgery Dr gave it a very scientific name - "free flow")

What was also made clear to me was that there is some subjectivity to the echo. It helped to have the cardiologist review the results with me. He went frame by frame and commented on certain numbers, but also pointed out how a technician might end up with some different measurements, depending on visual interpretation of certain images. But in this case, this only confirmed the test results.

Bottom line is that it took months and months for me to get back to the point where I felt I had some exercise stamina, and that this healing and remodeling process can take a full year, if not several years to see the full improvement.

John,

I appreciate your lucid post, and am happy for your results.

"... and that this healing and remodeling process can take a full year, if not several years to see the full improvement." truly is the bottom line. Just two months out from an AVR, I occasionally push myself a bit too much only to receive a terse message from my body that I need time and must be patient.

Good luck. Todd

Hi John,
Congratulations on a great report! Your experience is much like mine at one year. I also had significant remodeling at that point. You may also be even more encouraged to know that last fall I was told I have had even further remodeling, to the point that my heart is now indistinguishable from a normal, healthy heart (apart from the carbon bit at the top). I was never told, nor would I have expected, that the whole healing process could take two years. Certainly I was happy with my results at one year. That the heart can continue to improve even beyond that it icing!

By the way, I also had a maze procedure. Did you get any feedback on the relative success of that? (I was told that my EKG's are more regular that 'normal'. I'm not too sure exactly what that means, but it sounds pretty good.)

Paul

Maze procedure was a preventive measure, because EP felt I could have issues with Afib as the cavity size reduced. No issues with Afib. Just a few PACs and very very minor SVT at short intervals, and only in isolated cases. Its just common sense that I should expect some PACs as the healing continues, but I should ask my EP. Good question.

Latest posts

Back