1 week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

Surgery was one week ago today. Pain management sucks because I can't take anything stronger than Tylenol, Medications (probably the beta blocker) make me dizzy, and my sleep schedule is all out of whack (as in, I'm getting NONE), but I'm here! It can only get better right? These are just baby bumps, and we're all very much expected...just had to whine for a second :)

You made it this far and will find each day and each week it only gets better.

I am at 4 months and still have a few very minor issues like being ready for bed at 8.

This is the place to whine!!! Sorry about the lack of sleep. Rest is so important to healing.

Where have you tried to rest? Do you have a recliner, or a bunch of pillows to support you on the couch or bed? Many people find sitting up supported to be much more comfortable for resting than lying down. What position is most comfortable for you? I know for Skyler that lying down on the couch with a bunch of cushions was most comfortable the first time, and sitting in a chair was better the second. He even slept a bit on the table in front of him while sitting in a chair a couple times, as that was most comfortable at the time.

Do you meditate? Can you try to do some meditations to try to rest your body? Can you take ibuprofen? Skyler found that a combination of ibuprofen staggered with tylenol really helped with his pain management. Yes, I know that there are recommendations against combining ibuprofen and warfarin, but when we quizzed his doctor about it, the issues are very minor. If used short term and in low dose (according to the doctor), it shouldn't be a problem.

I had the same problem with dizziness at first, get yourself a bunch of ice packs and you won't need much more than tylenol soon. They can change your beta blockers if you are getting too dizzy so talk to your cardiologist to see if you can change to something different.

As far as sleeping, get it when you can, I lived off of naps in the first month or two out of surgery. Sleeping through a full night didn't happen for a few months for me. I remember it clearly it was in October and I woke up and exclaimed with great pride to all I saw that day "I slept all night long, 8 hours straight!!!".

This is the place to whine, because we know exactly how frustrating things can be early in the recovery. The good thing is that you will get a little bit better every day. You may not realize it at first, since the progress is gradual. But when you look back week by week or month by month you will realize just how much progress you have made.

Sorry you're getting no sleep, but like everyone said, no need to feel bad for venting. I have some nights that are good, and some that are just terrible, so I hear you. Do the painkillers make you sick, is that why you avoid them?

Happy 1 week to you though! :)

Yep, the "good" painkillers make me sick, and the others just don't work. I'm amazed at how well Tylenol works...it just doesn't last long enough.

Latest posts

Back