1 Month Post-Op w/ Surgeon: Does this sound RIGHT?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deek

I'm one month post-op MVR...had my month check with my surgeon this past Monday and this is what he said: "If you can think it, you can do it! Bungi jump, sky dive, bench-press your toddler (42lbs), have sex 3-5 times per day...I don't care! You are cured. Have a nice life!" At first, I was just happy with the good prognosis but then I wanted to slap him! He may DO 500 of these per year but let's slap his ass on a table, crack his chest, stop his heart, cut into it and see if he's up for ALL that in only a months time. What baffles me even more is that his nurse came in prior and told me to keep lifting restrictions to 20lbs and to just take it easy for a couple months. He also said I don't need cardiac rehab. What are your surgeons saying? Does this sound right? Thanks in advance for sharing.

Dee

I would say he needs to be reminded of when you had surgery. I wouldn't suggest doing any of those things for at least 6 months.

I kind of like the idea of slapping his ass on the OR table and see how he feels a month from now.

My surgeon kind of said something like that to me in the hospital when he was releasing me after giving me all of my restrictions. But he said SOON, i'd be bungi jumping, skydiving, etc. I'm sure he didn't mean in a month.

He's a bit premature (two months), in terms of the healing sternum. I think he was probably trying to get across that your heart is healing properly, and he doesn't need to see you anymore. He seems to have gone a bit over the top in dong so.

As far as cardiac rehab: unless there are specific health problems other than the surgery that cause a special need, it's always entirely optional.

Best wishes,

He's a bit premature (two months), in terms of the healing sternum. I think he was probably trying to get across that your heart is healing properly, and he doesn't need to see you anymore. He seems to have gone a bit over the top in dong so.

Best wishes,

How long do they say it takes the heart to heal from the cutting, etc

That's nuts! I am at 3 months and just got the OK for water skiing and softball..I also asked about roller coasters because they have warnings about heart problems and he said it was un fixed ones and I'd be fine.

The actual healing of the cuts into the heart itself is startlingly fast. Ignoring the 6-8-week sternum healing for now, what takes three months is the regrowth of the endothelium (inner skin) over the healed area at the valve.

If you've also had any work done on your aorta, it takes six months. In that case, the endothelium is actually growing into and through the Dacron velour (or similar material) sleeve that replaces part of your aorta, and making it yours.

During that time, you are more susceptible to endocarditis and stroke, which is why they don't want you to get any dental or other invasive work for a while and why they frequently have you on some kind of blood thinner, usually coumadin or plavix.

Once the endothelium covers things, your likelihood of endocarditis or stroke goes back to being very similar to what it was before surgery.

Best wishes,

surgery

surgery

I had aortic repair and was never told about risk of stroke.
tell me more
I had aortic valve repair also
Right now I have high heart rate. on 3 metoprol 50 mg a day
some fluid still on my heart
ECHO done cardio told me looks good
I am 4 weeks out
any advice

Dee -

Take the advice offered by his Nurse!

YES, you can probably do all of those things *in due course*.

The guidelines i've heard are that it takes 6 weeks for the Sternum to be healed to 85% of it's strength, 12 weeks (total) to reach 100%.

At 3 months, you can probably resume normal activities (but you may want to ask about weight restrictions...even for life... Arnold Schwartzeneger "blew out" a valve trying to lift too much weight in the gym).

'AL Capshaw'

My surgeon told me pretty much the same thing at one month. I thought he was crazy then and I still think he's crazy. He is an excellent mechanic, but I'll take direction from my cardiologist anyday! He's the one who decided when I could begin cardiac rehab and which meds I could discontinue. Listen to your own body and it will tell you when you're ready to skydive--in my case that's never!

Thanks everyone. Just don't want to go through again.

Dee:
None of us do!
Seriously, the recuperation -- healing process -- is much quicker than the process of rebuilding your stamina and having enough energy consistently to do things like bungy jumping, pole vaulting, water skiing, dancing at your niece's wedding, sky-diving, having sex 3-5 times a day :eek: (I thought only newlyweds did that!). That's not all in one day, is it? :rolleyes:

I was warned by PT that I should not travel even at 8 weeks post op because dealing with the suitcases would be too much weight and too much hassle for one person. I still think that taking it as things come will be the best plan. See how you feel and try to find the happy balance of pushing yourself while taking it easy.

As many others have said, listen to your body. At 10 weeks post op, I should be able to do many things, and that is true, but if a twist too much or move something a little on the heavy side, my incision area starts sending me little messages--a very slight feeling of pain or burning, so I back off and won't try those things for a couple more weeks. We all heal differently and part of that is your very own feeling of what you're capable of and ready to do. We didn't all learn to walk and talk in the same amount of time so we aren't all going to have our sternums and hearts all knitted together at the same time.

Midge

From the surgeon's point of view, I think they're just saying that all of their stitches are permanent by then. The base wound to the heart (the muscle portion) is actually healed in days. It's a quick healer. As far as the muscle itself, there's nothing that's going to burst or unravel (assuming no aneurysms or work on the aorta) from the surgery after a week or so. The direct damage form the surgery is stable.

But that's not all that's going on.

- Electrical circuits are disrupted. They aren't the big ones that are responsible for the main contractions, but a much smalller neural net in the heart muscle through which the flow of the muscle contraction is smoothed, among other things. They can take some time to reattach or reroute, and can cause some palpitations.

- The heart itself is enlarged. It can take up to a year for it to remodel (that's the term that's used for it) to its more normal size. Mostly, it's back in six months. Some things, like enlarged atria, are less capable of returning to original sizes than the ventricles, and may never return to their old size, so they heart has to relearn its new configuration as it goes along. While the heart adjusts, there can be palpitations and other arrhythmias (usually temporary), because it doesn't always shrink perfectly evenly throughout. At various times, different parts of the heart may not be completely in sync. Due to this, you may also have temporary mild valve leakages on an echo, (usually in the non-replaced valves), that will go away as the heart continues to remodel.

- Due to the injury to the heart and the sudden change of demand level (your valve is no longer leaking or blocking bloodflow) your blood pressure can go all over the map (again, usually temporary).

- During the first three months (six, if you have work done on your aorta), you are regrowing inner skin (endothelium) on the areas that were operated on (where the valve is attached, places that got nicked, on and into the polyester aortic sleeve if you've had some aorta replaced, etc.). You are more susceptible to strokes and endocarditis until all the area is re-covered with endothelium (main reason why they often have you on Coumadin or Plavix to avoid strokes for that time period).

- You are usually placed on a beta blocker to make your heart beat less often and less hard. That can affect your blood pressure and your heart rhythm, as well as make you tired or cause other side effects of the BBs.

- Because these changes are dynamic and generally temporary, I usually caution people not to demand treatment for each, new thing from their doctor. We are all hyper aware of every nuance of our hearts after the surgery. We're often poor judges of the level of severity of the things that we feel.

I don't mean don't let your doctor know what's going on. I mean discuss with him any symptoms in the context of the fact that they may well be transient, and see how he reacts. You don't want a permanent fix for a temporary problem. By the same token, you don't want to ignore a potentially dangerous situation to avoid a few pills.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back