Ross redo after 15 years and options

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Hunter

I am facing having my RP redone and am leaning towards the Reverse Ross with the On-X with conduit in the aortic position.
What are you all's thoughts??
By the way, same surgeon and cardio as original; surgery 15 years ago, in Cleveland Clinic.

Turkey Hunter,

Sounds like a plan and it seems the ONX is quite the popular valve nowadays. Amazing you have the same surgeon from 15 years ago. It must be a bit of a deja vu. Just a thought....did you or are you considering going for a second opinion, even just for peace of mind?
Wishing you all the best with your upcoming re-do. We will be here cheering you on. :)

Last edited:
By "Reverse Ross" do you mean that they will put your original pulmonary valve back in that position from the aortic position, then replace the aortic with a prosthetic valve?

If so, doesn't that complicate the surgery? What is the benefit of reversing over just replacing what needs to be done now?

Please note that I am most definitely NOT challenging your plan, only wish to understand it better.

epstns;n859010 said:
By "Reverse Ross" do you mean that they will put your original pulmonary valve back in that position from the aortic position, then replace the aortic with a prosthetic valve?

If so, doesn't that complicate the surgery? What is the benefit of reversing over just replacing what needs to be done now?
Yes, that is what I mean by the reverse Ross. Does it add complications, yes to some extent; but taking the original pulmonary valve and returning it to it's original location after 15 years in "high pressure" service it will be there till I no longer need it. And again yes, the aortic will be prosthetic.

I am basically trying to prevent another surgery in my lifetime.......with the current homograph in the pulmonic position leaking some, it makes sense to address it as well while we are in there.......
If I don't address the valves now.......I sure as hell do not want to hear the docs tell me in 5 years that my valves are shot and I need to replace them!!!!

Latest posts

Back