MRI and mechnical valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Janetlee

Hi,

I have had a mechanical mitral valve since 1999. I need a brain MRI now and want to know if my valve is non-magnetic so I can have this done. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks,

Janet
Mitral Valve Replacement (mechanical) October 1999

PS I guess the surgeon who implanted the vlve would have that information.

Have a St jude AV

Have a St jude AV

I have a St Jude Aortic Valve and have had 3 MRIs. No problem so far.

Janet:

Check the patient ID card for your valve. It should say whether the valve is MRI-compatible. If it doesn't, there should be a phone number somewhere on the card. I have a St. Jude & the card has in red "MRI COMPATIBLE." St. Jude's toll-free number is on the bottom of the front, 800-344-5833, and regular number, 651-483-2000, on the back.

If they don't ask to see your card... be scared. Just kidding!!

If they don't ask to see your card... be scared. Just kidding!!

Janet,

I've had two MRIs of the brain since my surgery. Each time they asked to see my card. The number on the card tells them if your valve is MRI compatible or not.

I have the ST. Jude mitral 33MJ-501 model. :D

Most are MRI compaitble. Refer to the card, as the others have said, but take this for comfort, from a recent post:

There's not much available that's more magnetic than a Magnetic Resonance Imaging device. An initial part of its activity is to expose you to a magnetic field strong enough to force the axes of all the hydrogen atoms in your body to align to magnetic poles at your head and feet. And hydrogen atoms are not all that magnetic. No one is allowed to wear metal in the MRI room, as metallic objects can become injurious darts when the field is on.

An MRI test was done of different models of most of the major heart valve brands and models, including Sorin, St. Jude, ATS, even the Bjork-Shileys, as well as tissue valves like the Medtronics Hancock, other Medtronics tissue valves, a bovine tissue valve (not Edwards), and the Toronto SPV.

From the Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging12:363?369 (2000) http://www.imrser.org/PDF/Shellock.HeartValves.JMRI.pdf Prosthetic Heart Valves: Evaluation of Magnetic Field Interactions, Heating, and Artifacts at 1.5 T Maria-Benedicta Edwards, MPhil,1 Kenneth M. Taylor, FRCS,1 and Frank G. Shellock, PhD2
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS
MRI safety was determined for 32 different heart valve prostheses using ex vivo test procedures in association with a 1.5-T MR system. All prosthetic heart valves were tested for magnetic field interactions, heating, and artifacts. The data revealed only minor magnetic field interactions with temperature changes that were substantially below that known to pose a hazard to human subjects. Artifacts were characterized as mild to severe in size. Based on this information, these heart valve prostheses should not present a hazard with respect to movement or dislodgement in MRI environments of 1.5 T or less. Additionally, RF energy-induced heating associated with a whole-body averaged SAR of 1.1 W/kg will not pose a risk to a patient with one of these heart valve prostheses. Accordingly, these heart valve prostheses should be considered ?MR safe? according to the specific conditions used for testing.
(Note: "artifact" only means an item's image that shows up on the scan, nothing harmful. Remember also, this refers only to valves, not pacemakers or other equipment.)

Best wishes,

Two Related Questions:

What is the Metal Ring (on my St. Jude Mechanical Valve) made of?

What type of metal is used for sewing the Sternum back together?

I *ASSUME* these are Non-Magnetic !

'AL Capshaw'

I have had one MRI and there was no problem. I know this sounds nuts and it was most likely my imagination but I swear it felt like the wire used on the sternum was buzzing. Not the kind of buzz I was expecting but hey, I will take it where I can get it these days:cool: :p :cool:

Cooker

Why so many brain MRIs in the sub population of Valvers? Correllation?

Why so many brain MRIs in the sub population of Valvers? Correllation?

I know that there are some vascular issues with us bicuspid AVs. Any ideas about other anomalies in vasculature?

Brain MRI

Brain MRI

I had to have a brain MRI to rule out an aneurysm as a cause of the migraines I have had since a teenager. First they had to x-ray my eyes since I used to work in a metal shop to make sure there were no fragments in my eyes; don't want to think what they could do when the magnet is turned on.

When everything checked out I went ahead with the MRI. After they analyzed the results they said they could not find anything. When they stopped laughing they clarified their answer and said they could not find anything wrong...

I remember feeling a buzzing in my fingers....

Cheers,

Swill

Latest posts

Back