you never know ....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefields409

It has been a while, since I posted anything of significance about my heart journey as I had truly intended to follow up immediately last sept (2013) once back from a trip.

I came back to find out that my father not in top form with what we thought were gallstones. Through tests and recurrent visits to ER,he was finally diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma. Although surgeon thought resection/whipple procedure would be answer, it turned out not to be as during surgery (November) it was discovered he was stage 4. Add to that my own wee ER visit in October ( i thought back spasm from lifting Thanksgiving turkey :rolleyes:,) was told cardiac episode as cardiac troponin "numbers up" in october when I was casually told " follow up required", which was not the priority for me due to concerns about father and semi-invalid mother.

Fast foward ( bad phrasing as it was excruciatingly slow& difficult time) to end of January of this year my father died and understandably since then focus was my mother, husband and new foster kitties just welcomed this week:)

anyhow,last wednesday i finally went in for echo. I made the call because I had suddenly been experiencing bad dizzy spells.I thought stressful time, overdoing things etc etc. I got a call to see cardiologist on Friday am. I thought great, cancellation. No so simple. Do not pass go and no $200. Doc said I had reached a turning point. I said can it wait as trip booked at end of august?? I was having a duh moment. He said if I don't deal with it now, might not be here for anything.

So here I am now , in hospital bed under observation on cardiac wing, 2 blood transfusions later, *BP was 248/160 on meds to try to reduce and be monitored for stroke. BP presently 175/114 but i am not allowed to do anything so of course it is lower ;) I am awaiting transfer to another hospital for cath as soon as it is "safer" and then referral to surgeon and then i suspect surgery asap. My cardiologist said no home til fixed.

I think I may be out of the waiting room and heading over to "pre=op", but could be wrong. Although I am now officially "severe" and there is final consensus of bicuspid i don't think numbers are that bad. Perhaps it is the high BP and onset of dizziness and worsening of breathlessness as factors. I will try to post numbers after I have spoken with own cardiologist tomorrow.

Forgive the length. I feel somewhat blind sided by this and had to vent. Husband brought laptop in to help me stay put, not walk out AMA and pass time.

So... how are things with you??

Helen
I'm Not crazy, like Sheldon I have been tested ;)

Goodness Helen that's quite a stressful year you've had. Very sorry to hear about your dad. Listen to your doctors and stay put! It does sound like your stay in the waiting room is about over, but that also means that your time in the 'HELL YEAH I'M FIXED!' room is about to start. :)

Best of luck from down under!

Thanks ski girl for the kind words. : Hell yeah !!!!! preferable to my "holy crap" which were my words to cardiologist on Friday.

- Agian- As for high bp is remains "idiopathic" as all tests ( renal etc) have been o/inconclusive. Just finished meeting with my cardiologist and this is where things stand:

- more transfusions needed. hemo is at 70 and i must be at least 90 before surgery on the table ( yeah..pun intended)
-stroke risk sill high but will increase meds again. must be down to at least 155/95 before surgery can be done.
-AT this point Ross procedure was first option discussed but not done locally , would have transfer to university hospital in Toronto. One 1 surgeon there who does it and is "world renowned". and not sure how long til it can get done as unsure when stable for surgery (was told might end up being emergency surgery if condition worsens) and i would have to stay admitted til whenever. Logistics make this less favourable but forum input most welcome.

mechanical, thus far NOT an option due to hemo/anemia and cannot go on blood thinners needed after mechanical.

Tissue it is but will definitely need to be redone in 8-10 years based on current situation.

So it is like having choices but not really. Next step, cath once bp is down more.

once an official date for op i will switch to pre. Before "switching" I will tidy up the waiting room and remove any cheeky graffiti I may have done during my tenure.

:biggrin2: p.s this site is invaluable as my cardiologist was impressed i knew about ross etc. education makes a better patient ;)

Holy crap, nothing like SURPRISE YOU NEED SURGERY. My bp would be up also. Depending on how physically rigorous a trip you have booked in late August, if you have the surgery sooner, you'll probably still be able to make the trip.

Holy crap, nothing like SURPRISE YOU NEED SURGERY. My bp would be up also. Depending on how physically rigorous a trip you have booked in late August, if you have the surgery sooner, you'll probably still be able to make the trip.

That is very encouraging as I had done a quick tally on fingers thinking I can do it. IF i can get all issues under control and have done and be home recuperating by the end of the month I'd say good to go. Counting on smooth recovery, no bumps .:thumbup:

Thanx !!
Helen

Forgive the length. I feel somewhat blind sided by this and had to vent. Husband brought laptop in to help me stay put, not walk out AMA and pass time.

well I for one live in a glass house with respect to long posts, so no fear of me chiding you on that part :)

So... how are things with you??

making progress. I go back home soon and approach phase (gee, lost count... insert number < 5 here) to see if I'm cured or have to hit the battle again. As the time draws close I confess to feeling a little anxious about stopping the antibiotics.

Best Wishes

x ray-check echo-check ( For a brief moments i hopes a big mistake and had a wee chuckle about how ironical it would be if her test gave "better" results that my own cardiologist's tech. Alas she said the results were "on par". )

Angio booked for 7:30 in the am, ambulance limo here at 6:30. I think the plan is they will simply slow down and open the bay door and roll me out.WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Am hoping for arm and not groin. With all of the rush I am not.... ah...pre-prepped for prep. Ladies will understand better TMI for any gentlemen viewers. My apologies.

Better get started on that grafitti ;)

Helen

x ray-check echo-check ( For a brief moments i hopes a big mistake and had a wee chuckle about how ironical it would be if her test gave "better" results that my own cardiologist's tech. Alas she said the results were "on par". )

Angio booked for 7:30 in the am, ambulance limo here at 6:30. I think the plan is they will simply slow down and open the bay door and roll me out.WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Am hoping for arm and not groin. With all of the rush I am not.... ah...pre-prepped for prep. Ladies will understand better TMI for any gentlemen viewers. My apologies.

Better get started on that grafitti ;)

Helen

:tongue2: LOL, believe me, those nurses have seen it all and worse! I've been a nurse for 37 years and the last thing on my mind is my patient's nether regions. And I've seen about 8,000 during my career so I'm a bit of a pro. :biggrin2:

Love your sense of humor! That's something that can work for us when we are going through all we have to go through.

Will be thinking of you and sending my best vibes as you move ahead in this journey. Please do keep us posted along the way, and then let us know as you are recovering so we can lend our support.

All best to you!

Hi

quick question
Go Helen!! Let us know how you get on, you have a global troupe of cheerleaders here all wishing you well xo

perfectly willing to get into that cute little skirt, but do I *have* to shave my legs?

*rattles that pom pom*

Go Helen Go

I am definitely cheered.:smile2:

Shaving is optional but french braiding leg hair would be a nice touch, or perhaps lots of wee tufts gathered and tied with little ribbon bows as you prefer however co-ordinating with armpit accessories will be mandatory.

I am feeling festive as I await my chariot. Nothing like having supportive cheering. Much appreciated. Will update when able .

Helen

p.s any visuals are brought to you by the letters f,m, and l. your local public broadcasting station .:cool:

Latest posts

Back