Xenical and Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi to all

I need some advice,

I visited my GP and she advised me to lose weight.

She said I could be given a tablet called Xenical which stops some of the fats being absorbed into the body,

I just wondered if any one had any info on this tablet
I have read a few things, but I would like the opinion of someone who has used it.or knows someone who has

Also I would be interested to hear Al's view in relation to taking this while on Warfarin,

I have to lose some weight on my own before I would be prescribed the tablet,

I know there is no quick fix to losing weight and that I would have to follow a diet and exercise plan, but I wonder if Xenical would give me a push in the right direction

any advice will be gratefully received

thanks

Jan

Sorry to everyone who has been awaiting my replies. I was appointed a Expert Witness in a murder trial and have been preparing my expert opinion. Besides taking up every spare moment, it pays well.

I have seen two people who have taken Xenical and warfarin. One was very successful. She lost so much weight that her atrial fibrillation spontaneously resolved. She was started on both Xenical and warfarin at the same time, so we could not tell if there was any effect on the INR.

The other is an alcoholic who no longer drinks but has liver disease. He took it for a short while and his INR increased. I think that it was because vitamin K is a fat soluble vitamin. There must have been less vitamin K absorbed. Less vitamin K to oppose warfarin means a higher INR. He took it for about two months and when he stpooed, we had to raise his warfarin dose back to where it was before.

If you do start it, have your INR checked weekly until it stabilizes and the warfarin dose no longer needs to be changed.

Thanks. Since there is very little information in medical journals about this combination, I would like to know the details of what happens. If you could keep a diary of warfarin dose, INR, Xenical doses (if you missed any etc.) and weight lost this would be most helpful. I would like to publish it on the website either with or without your name, whichever you prefer.

Latest posts

Back