Would like to try self-testing but...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay_from_nj

My insurance (Kaiser Permanente) doesn't want to cover self-testing, and the meters, AFAIK, are some pretty expensive pieces of work. I don't make much, working for the state of Colorado and my wife is between jobs, so $1000, or even hundreds, for a medical device that isn't strictly necessary, is out of the question. So, if I really want to try the self-testing thing, does anyone know of a source for inexpensive equipment/supplies or an "in" with Kaiser to get them to cover it?

Clay,

I have Kaiser also, and the anti-coagulation clinic (at KP Los Angeles Medical Center) wasn't supported of having me self-testing either. My cardiologist, on the other hand, was supportive, and agreed to write a letter to saying he supported me getting a meter and doing self-testing. This allowed me to set up a Health Care Spending Account (HSCA) to make the meter purchase tax deductible.

I ended up buying an Alere Inratio2 meter second hand on Ebay for $350 and it seems to work (5 tests agree to within an INR of 0.1, as compared to a lab test, so far). You will find many on this site happy with second hand meters. Check with user Protimenow, he's got 4 or 5 different meters that he uses and compares.

Happy self-monitoring!

Yes, I do have some meters that I've been using and comparing. The one that I trust most is the Coag-Sense meter. It's not one that many are familiar with, but for me, it's the only one with results that are slightly lower than the labs, and my main concern is that my INR is ABOVE the minimum for my range.

I have only one CoaguChek XS, but have some ProTime meters (including ProTime 3), which are a bit more difficult to run tests on than some of the others, but are supposed to be more accurate.

I have an InRatio and an InRatio 2, but in my own testing, I've found these to give results that are higher than the labs. This may not matter, if you figure out HOW MUCH higher and adjust accordingly (and there are some proposed calculations to convert InRatio scores to Lab results). I also have probably 60 or so strips for the InRatio - and I have serious doubts that I'll use anywhere near that many. One nice thing about the InRatio strips is that they seem to be good for as much as one year after the expiration date on the package (and, in my testing, this seemed to be the case, although the results are STILL high whether the strips are 'fresh' or 'expired').

I bought most of my meters on E-Bay, and have been happy with each. (I bought one or two that were 'as is' because they didn't work -- no surprises when I got them).

PM me if you want to see about a used meter.

Hi
fishing around on eBay you can pick one up for about $400 also factor in the strips, which can be bought on line for about $130 for 24 strips.

The situation in the US (as I understand it) is that as soon as you go through an insurance company or a clinic thr price doubles.

I have a good recent article here (meaning peer reviewed journal) comparing 2 meters to vein draws and home management vs clinics.

Its pretty unambiguous. The meters compared included the one I use which is the coaguchek XS. Not to be confused with the S which is no longer supported AFAIK ... If you go eBay looking make sure you don't buy a 'pig in a bag' as they say here in Finland.

I'd contact the meter manufacturer(s) directly. I contacted Roche (Coagucheck) and they sent me the exact form that I need for my insurance. I have to wait three months before I can submit. My cardio has to fill it out. I spoke with the Rep and told her that my insurance wouldn't cover the meter until I'd been on warfarin for 6 months. She laughed and told me the insurance codes to give Aetna. She didn't think they really meant that I guess. I haven't spoke to Aetna yet.

Here's the link to get started with Roche

Latest posts

Back