would like more info on bovine tissue valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came to the same conclusion as Mentu about all the hemming and hawing over valve choice. It took me more than a full month of solid study reading primary literature and a load of hemming and hawing before I concluded that what my surgeon advised was the way to go. Granted, he said he would do whatever I wanted (as long as it could be done safely and effectively), but he gave me his strong preference and at least didn't leave me hanging out there all on my lonesome to try to make the choice with no good advice. Your surgeon should have a recommendation. If not, I would ask him why.

All tissue valves have shorter lives in younger, more chemically active people. The long life cycles in studies for tissue valves are mainly from people retirement age and older. Do not expect twenty years from a tissue valve at age 47. Maybe half that, for most of that age. Lynlw is correct about the useful lives of the Edwards and Biocor valves for people of retirement age. The St. Jude Biocor is manufactured from porcine leaflets and has bovine pericardium at the cusps between the leaflets. The Carpentier Edwards Perimount Magnum is manufactured from bovine pericardium. The Medtronic Mosaic is a natural porcine valve, and the Medtronic Freestyle is a natural porcine valve still in the aortic root.

You will likely not hear from too many people who have really long-term tissue valves in place, as most seem to leave the forum and simply return to their lives. There's nothing left to talk about, as there's no real maintenance for most folks besides annual echoes. And that's fine. The surgery and even the support from this site are intended to return people to their lives.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
For the sake of a little balance, I'll chime in to say my second OHS was the one where I required valve replacement. I opted for Edwards Bovine and am immensely grateful I did.

My second surgery went much easier for me than my first and I had an uneventful, full recovery from both.

My surgeon, PCP and Cardio were all strongly supportive of my choice for tissue valve.

So far........ it's doing great. Of course, I can't predict what will be tomorrow but then again, I could get run over by a bus and my valve could outlast me. :)

I am very, very grateful to each and everyone that responded here. I know it is a personal choice, I'm just looking to gather all the info I can from the experienced, etc. For those of you who are wondering, yes my surgeon did make a recommendation, because of my age, he would recommend mechanical. The final choice will be mine. He told me to do some more research, etc. on the valves available, and that I could make my choice. I believe I am leaning toward tissue. I just do not feel I will do well with the coumadin, the keeping up with all of that and the blood tests, etc. I am not one that likes to take any type of meds as it is. I occasionally take excedrin migraine for a headache and that's about it. I think if I decided to go with mechanical, it will be more of a disruption of my life than what I'm ready for at this point. I understand that all sorts of things can go wrong, or whatever, but prayerfully, if I do go with the tissue, I can remain with a life more similar to what I have now, that is not really having to take certain meds, and again, prayerfully for at least ten more years. I do realize I will need the surgery again when the tissue wears out, and that just may be something I will just have to deal with when that time arrives. Anyway, these are just some of my thoughts. Again, I think each and every one of you are angels. I thank you so much for trying to help me with your responses. I pray for this whole group every night and I pray that each of you will continue to get better and better and stronger and stronger each and every day! Blessings to you all!

Angel,

for sure, on this site, if you want to get lots of responses, then open the format to tissue vs mechanical.

Lots of opinions here. The good news is no matter what, you have a fix. If you go mechanical, you probably will never need another surgery, I think. If you go tissue, unless you are over 65, you will defintely need another one. Tissues are kind of like cheating, yes, they sound good, no clicking, no coumidan and minimal worries about bleeding. But you do pay for it with a second surgery. As advanced as medical science is, this is still a very tough surgery. Everyone reacts differently, Some people kind do ohs and come out well, infact I know people that have had 3 or 4 surgeries, and all went well. But on the other hand, I read this forum and see horror stories.

I had my surgery in October, and thought I did well. Until yesterday, I met someone with the same name, and the same surgery date I did, but he opted for the cleveland clinic. He sounds like he did better than me!

Choose your surgeon, choose your hosptial wisely. Investigate then, learn,,,,the type of valve will become secondary, either way,,,you will make the right choice.

Good Luck.

I just made my choice

I just made my choice

I'm 48 and was told last week it's time for me to get my AV and ascending aorta replaced (I'm getting the surgery in 10 days)....but I've been thinking and reading about this for 25 years, ever since they discovered my bicuspid valve, so I knew what I wanted: bovine. Reason: I don't mind taking coumadin, but it's the clinics and testing that I know I'll hate and perhaps even skip. I figure if the bovine can last me 10 years or so, they'll be doing transcatheter replacements on everyone so it won't be such a big deal to get a replacement. A bit of a bet, but they're already doing this on critical patients, so it's not a huge reach. This is one of the reasons why a lot more people in their 40s are going tissue.

Latest posts

Back