Why Brigham and Women's?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCB

Here is the history:

Dwight Harken. Dr. Dwight Harkin was a U.S. Army Surgeon and saw many soldiers who had shrapnel or bullets imbedded in their hearts. The human heart was one organ that had never been violated by the surgeon's scalpel and no attempt was made to remove the fragments from the soldier's hearts. However, the problem got him interested in the possibility of doing surgery on the heart while it was still beating. His experiments on dogs proved that closed heart surgery could be performed successfully. In 1960 at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston he made an artificial valve and successfully implanted it to replace the damaged aortic valve of a human heart. New devices and procedures are always preceded by others. (At an earlier date Harken and Bailey independently had performed a closed heart procedure to dilate a constricted mitral valve with their finger, with initial poor {results;} Lillehei is considered the Father of open heart surgery, which he performed after the patient's body temperature had been reduced to 80 degrees {F.;} Barnard performed the first heart transplant).

Then this merger happened:

Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) is a hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. With Massachusetts General Hospital, it is one of the two founding members of Partners HealthCare. Brigham and Women's is a major teaching affiliate (and directly adjacent to the campus) of Harvard Medical School. Brigham and Women's is also affiliated with the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Brigham and Women's Hospital represents the 1975 merger of three Harvard-affiliated Boston hospitals: The Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (formed in 1913), the Robert Breck Brigham Hospital (1914), and the Boston Hospital for Women (itself a merger of the Boston Lying-in Hospital (1832) and the Free Hospital for Women

So why does this list not included Dr. Harkins 1960 historic surgery:

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/general/BWHMilestones.asp

Is this a gross oversight or are heart valves unimportant?:eek:
I thought maybe VR.com Boston members might have a clue?:confused:
I got no reply from the hospital.:(

Sounds to me like a gross oversight and no one is owning up to it- will be interesting to see if it is corrected if and when the website is ever updated.

Thinking of you

Thinking of you

Phyllis,
I thought you might respond to the above posting.

I finally got a reply from some web service, who told me to call
the hospital at 1-800-722-5520 and ask for Public Affairs. Called the number,
they said to call 1-617-534-1600, which was Marketing. Call that number and they said call 1-617-732-9550. which was Margaret Bouchard in web page design. Callled left a message. She called me back and was completely unaware of BWH involvement with Dr. Harkin or heart valves. She was very nice and very professional. She stated that they would be updating the web page in a couple of weeks and would get back to me.

I told her about the 50th anniversary project here at VR.com and while
she thought the hospital would be interested, she also seemed puzzled.

Perhaps, there is no institutional memory there at BWH. Could you and the other members who have had surgery there write your surgeons to see if they would be interested in having this information on the website page:
http://www.brighamandwomens.org/general/BWHMilestones.asp

I'm not sure how long Dr. Harkin practiced, but there is a good chance your surgeon, Dr. Cohn, knew him.

Thanks for any help you can offer.:)

I sent an email off to Dr. Cohn today- basically cut and paste the relevant parts of your post on this subject as well as the 50th anniversary project. I will send you a copy by pm- hope it helps!:)

Latest posts

Back