Where things stand...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefields409

I think I am at the point where I can possibly add some objective insight to recent events and evaluate how things are going. Only because I finally had about 4 hours sleep...at one time.

I am 9 days post op. and boy what a difference a day can make; The biggest adjustment was taking an Aleve yesterday, which has been the answer for any pain management required.

So..on May 21, 2014 I had a C-E Perimount Magna Ease Aortic Valve ( Bovine bio-prosthetic) implanted. Now part of me is made in the USA.

Surgeon told my husband that valve was far worse then anticipated. Completely fused/calcified, no leaflet action of any kind, from bicuspid to one, only having a 2-3 mm domed "hole" that didn't open/close thru which blood travelled and regurgitated . My left side of my heart is quite enlarged and aneurism bit more than echo but hey .. i am ALIVE !! . It was decided not to deal with aneurism due to critical hypertension. As to when next surgery will be, it a wait and see, although will be done likely before becoming symptomatic.

Surgery last just over 6.5 hours and was intubated for almost 7 hrs after. A few recovery glitches, i do recall gagging on tube, but bigger "recollection" being surrounded by "puppets".:confused:. I do recall my wonderful husband being there stroking my hair. My first words to him was " are you one of my virgins??" shades of Jeff Dunham and Achmed. I fully blame drugs.:cool2: I also had the sensation I was on my side and I know I wasn't. The next day, once REALLY on my side i knew the difference.:eek2:

Time in ICU was ok, nurses amazing. Chest tubes removed before step done. Not as bad as I expected. Sent to step down Mid morning day 1. The first time on side and getting up was not fun but got through. Breathing was the key and posture/upright essential. Foley was non issue.

Worst thing...belly pain and bloating. Warm blankets were a godsend. Passing gas, amongst patients despite being strongly encouraged and even celebrated by fellow roomies were insufficient for relief. Oddly enough and with the risk bordering on TMI, it wasn't until bowels decided to vote much earlier ( day 2 post op) and without equivocation that the belly pain went away.

I walked , breathed etc etc. Got in trouble for too much walking. :biggrin2: Happy my legs were strong!! lol Sleep was elusive even with aids.

Chest wires removal was only an issue due to the alcohol swap by puncture sire. Might tingle nurse said. SONOFABITCH I said in response to said alcohol swab, and the tugging.I can hehehe ...now.

I was almost discharged post op day 4 as things were going so well when all of a sudden my hypertension and afib reared their ugly heads. Some Intense medication titration and i was allowed home post op day 5.

Since home, bad moment when cat sneezed beside me , scared me and I twisted torso.:eek2: 2 sneezes of my own,rapid succession without warning were Brutal. Walking is no issue but finding a comfortable position when trying to rest, not so much. Left side of tongue is still numb with I attribute to intubation and taste buds are definitely off. Not much of appetite but my compulsion ( no exaggeration) for ice is gone.

For the FIRST time in my life my BP is now "normal" being managed with meds and I can manage any side effects thus far.

Again, a long post but I think I covered the main points.

Thanks again to all who were cheering me and others through this process. Happy to answer any questions.

Alive and kickin'...its all good :) Blessings !!

Helen

I can relate to so much of what you've said Helen. First time I sneezed after surgery, I drew a crowd :eek2: Glad to know you're home and doing well - keep up the good work!
Anya

Alas...no pillows of any kind given at the Hamilton General. I was mid hallway this am when unexpectedly struck by 2 sneezes. There was nothing soft within sight, reach or time. I think I whimpered apres le sneeze. Dreadful !!:thumbd:

No special pillows at St Anthony's either. We were shown how to fold a towel to hold to the chest in case of coughs and sneezes, and when trying to lie down in bed.

Latest posts

Back