When to stop the incentive spirometer?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

No one told me when to stop. I'm 2.5 weeks out and routinely pulling 2125 or 2500 ml on the spirometer with no pain at all.

How long were you told to keep doing it?

Likewise - I stopped at 4 weeks because I wasn't having any breathing problems and wasn't seeing any change on the spirometer.

20 months post op and I still do it a few times a week. Lately, I can almost fill that thing up. I think that I lost a lot of flexibility in my ribs after two surgeries and I should have been more aggressive in combating that early on.

How long were you told to keep doing it?

I wasn't. I did it routinely when I first came home but not so regularly after the first couple weeks and after 4 weeks when I was given the ok to increase my exercise I stopped completely.

The purpose of incentive spirometer is to prevent the fluid buildup in lungs. So you excersize with it as long as you have fluids in your lungs, which is different from patient to patient. I suggest to ask your doctor, if you can.

Latest posts

Back