When do you take your low dose aspirin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kevin M

I've been on ASA since my surgery. When the resident gave me instructions, I think I remember him saying that I was supposed to take the aspirin about 90 minutes after a meal. Something about being absorbed in the instestines??

I was still foggy from the operation when I had this conversation, so I'm not sure if I heard right.

For those of you who take aspirin daily, when do you take it and why?
Kev

Baby aspirin

Baby aspirin

Kevin,

My doctor has me taking my baby aspirin in the morning with breakfast. I don't know why...other than he told me to take it with a meal...I also take my my Avapro and Lopressor then also...hope to get off Lopressor totally this winter and then start cutting the Avapro.

Jean

Pill Poppers

Pill Poppers

I take my low-dose Ecotrin every am with its other more expensive companions plus me vitamins. I don't necessarily time it with food, but I generally have something to eat within an hour or two after I take all this stuff. So far so good, knock on my wooden head. Doc never said when or how to take, just prescribed it sort of automatically.

Cheers!

Kevin,

I take a regular asprin every morning along with my vitamins after I eat. Don't know why I was told to, other than added protection of keeping the blood coagulation thinner. I take my Coumadin in the PM. Take care!

Enteric coated aspirin

Enteric coated aspirin

I take enteric coated (gastro-resistant) aspirin - is this what you all have? I understand this is so they don't dissolve before they get through the stomach to the intestine, so don't cause any stomach problems.

Kevin, I think that they wanted you to take it after meals because of stomach upset and other problems. Aspirin is very hard on your stomach lining.

Take care,
Zazzy

Ecotrin

Ecotrin

Ecotrin is coated to protect stomache upset folks. It is probably wanted to be taken in the morning so you won't forget to take it. I have taken mine in the morning before meal, along with my potassium and water pills(taken with water). So you are taking it at the right time. Just hang in there and you will be alright. Just had to share my thought.

Regular aspirin always causes a tiny amount of bleeding in the stomach (that's why many take acetominophen for headaches) and taken regularly, it can cause problems. If you take it with food the problems with aspirin are much less, so you should always include a meal - if you take the enteric type of aspirin, it goes into the intestine and dissolves there, thereby protecting the stomach lining. As far as morning, it is probably just more convenient to take it then, along with your breakfast and other meds. I was told only 'take an aspirin a day' with no time specified so I just add it to the am pills to get it out of the way.

thanks for the info everyone

thanks for the info everyone

much appreciated.
Kev

Hi Kevin,

I take a baby asperin a day. Was not told when to take it. Mostly I take it at night before I go to bed. some times in the morning. It depends when I remember. I take vioxx and have to space the two. Good guestion, I see my cardio this friday for a three month check. I think I'll ask him and see what he says.

How much aspirin do you take? It seems like on here I have seen that different people take different doses in the extreme. I was wondering why. I take 84 mg. enteric Bayer aspiring regimen dosage. I don't take it with meals but is usually a couple of hours before. Like everyone said it is to protect your stomach lining.
Missy

I was told 'take an aspirin a day'. Robthat'sme said maybe a baby aspirin would do so I asked my cardio and he said that would be just fine and when shopping for baby aspirin, found the 82 mg adult enteric sort and that's what I take. The regular aspirin is about 500 mg (?) and baby asp is 82 mg. Quite a difference for tender stomachs.

I always took my baby aspirin every other night before bed.
I did this for 11 yrs with a porcine valve.
My surgeon said he recommended that most people do this even if they didn't have heart problems.
After my mechanical valve was placed last year I was told to take a baby aspirin daily, but I questioned it because I had found out my platelet level was low. The nurse checked and told me not to take the aspirin, just to go with the coumadin.
Gail

Expect you coumadin folks should not be on aspirin atall. Be sure to ask your dr. Aspirin thins the blood and you don't wanna mess up your coumadin levels.

aspirin?

aspirin?

I go to a coagulation clinic that is run by a pharmicist that is specially trained in managing coumadin patients and he says the aspirin a day for those of us on coumadin is essentially overkill. It doesn't help and may cause problems. He said that he has had a hard time convincing the cardio docs that it isn't necessary. Old habits die hard. When my cardio put me on it I broke out in little red dots on my legs and he said get off it, that it wasn't all that necessary! So why put someone on it it in the first place. This may just pertain to people on coumadin with no additional heart problems. I don't know. :)

Asprin

Asprin

Pleas just advise people on the asprin. Some people will take your advice and not talk to their doctor about the regement. And coumadin in a blood thinner anyway. I say if you all have any questions about taking asprin, talk to your doctor. Thank you. Don't stop taking anything with talking to your doctor first.

Latest posts

Back