When did you drive after AVR?????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruthienc1

Hi All! I'm starting to get antsy, but don't go to my cardio for two more weeks at which time I'll be 8 weeks post-op. I'm assuming I'll be released to drive then. Have any of you driven at 6 weeks?

Ruth, What a good patient you are! My surgeon told me no driving for 4 weeks...I started driving at 2! It was just impossible for my husband to stay home any longer (he had taken off for 3 weeks) and my kids had to get from point a to point b. I really felt fine, but don't recommend it for anyone else. I'm glad you are doing so well.

Kim

Dick drove at 6 weeks after his visit and release from the surgeon.

I bet if you called, they'd release you now. 6 weeks is plenty of time; I think I started back at 4.

Are you still taking pain meds? That would be no I'm sure but if you are then you can not drive. I know it's common sense but it's my disclaimer:)

I was cleared to drive at 3 weeks and I tried but it was really hard to turn to see on the sides and back. I drive a mini van and it has blind spots. I started out at about 5 to 6 weeks around my house I live in a small town.

I agree that if you called your dr he would probably clear you to drive.
Sounds like you're doing great.
Earline

I'm taking only an occasional Aleve. My main thing for driving would be so that I could get myself back and forth to rehab which starts Monday. I know there are folks who would take me - and my husband will get away from his office, too, if necessary- but it would be nice to do it on my own! It's not far and at a non- traffic-y time of day.

I started back at 6 weeks after I was given the drs ok.
Boy, did I celebrate "Freedom" it felt so good to be out on my own and going where I wanted too. If you call the dr I'm sure he would let you start driving.
The only reason I did'nt is I wanted to give myself time to heal, and I'm glad I did. :cool:

I was cleared at 6 weeks ( I could have been earlier but I had a set-back so was on pain meds a bit longer than usual) but to be honest I didn't drive much before 10 weeks. I found the seatbelt very uncomfortable across my incision and had a hard time turning my neck around when reversing.

I was cleared to drive at 3 weeks and I tried but it was really hard to turn to see on the sides and back. I drive a mini van and it has blind spots.

I view those times the doctors give as the minimum time to wait. The bottom line is if you don't feel comfortable, then don't drive, wait longer. It is not worth the risk.
My surgeon told me a I could drive at four weeks. Although I was off the pain meds by that time, I waited another week or so least. I still felt somewhat sluggish. Something just did feel right so I was afraid to try it. Even even I started again, I was very, very careful. I noticed I was not as alert. and I also had trouble turning to the sides to check blind spots.

I found it harder to getting used to driving again at that time than after several deployments with the Navy lasting six and seven months each.

Karl

Hi Ruth,

I was told not to drive for 6 weeks but I did start driving some short local trips from 3 1/2 weeks. The main problem was my car insurance did not cover me until 6 weeks after the operation so if I had been in an accident I wasn't covered.

Mary

I started driving at 6 weeks, but it was painful. Even now, at 12 weeks, it is still a bit uncomfortable to switch from 4th gear to 5th gear and to really turn the steering wheel when doing a U-turn or something.

I sometimes still take anti-inflammatory 'cause my chest feels so tight and at the top of the incision it still is tender and a bit painful.

I had my OHS on May 12th. I was "scheduled' to start driving again four weeks after the operation, but I came down witha bout of Colitis which set me back a week.

LAst week I started driving on little trips: to the corner store, to the movie rental place. Much being supervised by by wife.

I'm now driving on my own and I will tell you this, it has done WONDERS for my mental health. Just knowing I am no longer confined to the house is a big milestone.

I'd say, ask your doctor, and take it slow.EVeryone heals a bit differently.

I was cleared to drive at 4 1/2 weeks, and I needed to because I lived in the country and my children relied on me to get them from school, Tae kwan do, ballet, and tap classes. This was shortly after my mother had returned to California, and Laura's youngest sister returned to Wisconsin. We live in the country several miles from town, and Laura had to return to work full time again--she had already been working for several weeks after my OHS by that point. I basically had no choice in the matter--at least pain didn't stop me. No narcotic pain meds since 2 weeks post-op anyway, so that was okay, too. The vehicle I drive the most is a van that has an automatic transmission, as does the pickup truck, so there was no pain involved except minor chest irritation, which I found wearing an ascot (casual style held with a metal clip at my throat) was able to completely prevent shoulder belt discomfort while driving or just daily wear.

The scariest part of driving was the fact that the roads were icy very frequently during January, and I drive "white-knuckle" anyway when the roads are slick--even before the heart trouble became apparent. At least there were no incidents (thank you God!) involving skids or other icy losses of control. I was able to drive 16 miles the first day I drove to a doctor's appointment, so distance wasn't much of a factor, though I don't think I could have managed a drive to Boise (130 miles) that day. In other words, I was more worried about the ice than my recent chest incision. Since then driving hasn't been any trouble at all.

Chris

I wasn't permitted to drive my first OHS until about 8 weeks. Actually my cardio gave the okay but I still didn't feel competent to drive and held off another week.

My second OHS, same surgeon/cardio/hospital, and I was permitted to drive just under three weeks. I felt up to it and did fine.

I called both the surgeon and cardiologist yesterday and they both are out of the office for the next week.....so, unless, I want to just DO IT and drive, guess I'm stuck until the 9th (next appt). My husband says he's happy to drive me........drats!

Back