what to expect post heart surgery and good attitude info

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

suz

Hi All,

Just thought I would share the sites I found and passed on to my Dad that seemed really helpful pre surgery.

Here is a site that has great info on what to expect post surgery which is on a Thorasic surgeon site,

http://www.sts.org/doc/3563

Here are some sites which empasize the health benefit of a good positive attitude pre and post surgery to speed along recovery and good outcome,

"In a British study, according to Marty Munson, of Prevention Magazine, twenty-six patients who listened to positive statements about their recovery from gastrointestinal surgery prior to that surgery, requested less pain medication than twenty-five patients who only heard an informational tape. Imagining specific post surgery discomforts, and being told they will feel positive, and easily manage, helped these patients significantly."

http://www.geocities.com/dreamr144/healthy_attitude.htm

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=2760

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/HealthyWoman/positive010723.html

and here is some rehibilitation support info for heart patients,

http://www.heartfoundation.com.au/index.cfm?page=51

Lots of good wishes to you all!!
cheerleader2.gif

best,
suz

You are most welcome, Marge! Sharing good sites is such a great thing about bulletin boards!

Suz,

Welcome to VR and thank you so much for the links. I found them very helpful. Maybe Ross can "store" them where others will be able to find them.

Are you on this board because of your father, or are you also waiting for a new valve?

Hi Bill,

I am so glad that you found them helpful! My Dad is the heart patient in the family, but I am anticipating some surgical theatre time next year and certainly can relate to many concerns, feeling expressed here. Of course I have been really concerned about my Dad and I am the internet junkie in the family so finding info and this site has been a joy.

best,
suz

Bill,

I just wanted to say that I noticed in your sig that you are going to have surgery at the end of the month and I do wish you the very best and a easy recovery! The night before my dad's surgery it occured to me that I had read alot of good info on the subject of visualization and that it was something that medical science couldn't explain, but it seems to provide a good link between the mental and the physical. In my call to wish my dad well, I suggested that when he goes under he thinks of taking a trip to his beloved Venice. I did tell him not to forget to get on the plane back home! I had emergency surgery a few years ago and do remember having very visual dreams. I know when I head to my next surgical event next year I am going to think of something to think of that I will enjoy and will remember to get on the boat, train, plane back home.

best,
suz

Suz,

I've tried visualization on my own before (I haven't read anything on HOW to do it) and wasn't too successful, as my mind wanders. When I was studying for the Bar exam, I was taught a great self-relaxation technique which I guess is a form of visualization. I use it a lot when I'm stressed or have too much going on in my head, and I'm sure I will use it before surgery.

I tend to conk out pretty fast when they give me the pill +IV combo. My surgeon is a cool guy and very experienced. Although I'm somewhat of a control freak, this is one thing I have to completely hand off to the expert.

It would be nice to have dreams, though, since I will be *under* for so long - but I think it's more likely to be a 5 hour hole in my life.

Thanks for the good thoughts - everyone on this site is so caring and helpful. I feel like I know many of you, and will miss my daily *dose* of VR when I'm in the hospital.

I rarely remember my dreams, so I probably won't remember any that I might have during the surgery, either. I hope they are nice. Dreaming of Venice WOULD be nice.

It is one of my favorite cities. We were there for two weeks in 2001 (we were there on 9/11/01 as a matter of fact, and the Venetians were AWESOME in their kindness and compassion for all the Americans who happened to be there at the time). Suz, I wanted to tell your dad, I might still some day run into him in Venice. It is definitely one of the places I want to go to again as soon as I can when I start travelling after my recovery. We were thinking about a whole month this time.

As for visualization: dunno if that would work for me. I have my music on my iPod, and that's what I use when I need something calm & soothing. Lately I've also been downloading some Spoken Word recordings from audible.com -- mostly readings of things I've already read and love. Recently I put the old BBC dramatizations of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit on the iPod. I figure if I cannot read very much and can't sleep too well and the nights seem long, I can always listen to the iPod.

I've been trying NOT to visualize details of the surgery/ICU/hospital too much. Here's what's been working for me: When I wake up in the morning instead of thinking, "This day next week ..." I think "This day in TWO weeks..." Then I cheer up noticeably. So, this time next week I'll be under, or on my way to being under. But in two weeks I'll be HOME. Yay!!!

Bill,

I found some good sites on the subject of visualization and guided imagery. I think that I am going to try to develop my mind to experience this. I would think that a legally trained mind could get around this stuff.

"The power of the mind to help influence the body in healing is quite extraordinary and sometimes seems unbelievable what can transpire with its powerful influence."

http://www.stresshelpcenter.com/imagery.shtml

this one looks like a good little course on the specifics of guided imagery

http://www.healthjourneys.com/research_resources.asp

This one looks like a good resource too,

"Researchers at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio found that people with cancer who used imagery while receiving chemotherapy felt more relaxed, better prepared for their treatment and more positive about care than those who didn't use the technique."

http://www.holistic-online.com/guided-imagery.htm

best,
suz

Marge,

I just posted a bunch of link to some good visualization, guided imagery sites to bill above. I am definately going to check them out!

Wow a whole month in Venice! That is definately something to look forward to. Maybe you can be thinking of a shopping trip to Nordstrum's to pick out all the things you will need for the trip during your surgery. And don't forget where you parked the car, so you can get back home!

It sounds like you are doing some good mental relaxing. I wish you the very best in your upcoming date at the sugerical theatre. I just know that everything will be great and in 2 weeks these days will be a blur. I hope that your recovery is speedy as well.

best,
suz

Suz,

Interesting links. Thanks for the help. I'll definitely check these out.

Bill, Marge and everyone,

for some reason I copied the wrong link on the health jouneys site. The specific article is called,

What is Guided Imagery?

The 3 principles of guided imagery | General Info & Practical Tips | 8 kinds of guided imagery content | Imagery & Intuition | Frequently asked questions about Imagery

"Over the past 25 years, the effectiveness of guided imagery has been increasingly established by research findings that demonstrate its positive impact on health, creativity and performance. We now know that in many instances even 10 minutes of imagery can reduce blood pressure, lower cholesterol and glucose levels in the blood, and heighten short- term immune cell activity. It can considerably reduce blood loss during surgery and morphine use after it. It lessens headaches and pain. It can increase skill at skiing, skating, tennis, writing, acting and singing; it accelerates weight loss and reduces anxiety; and it has been shown, again and again, to reduce the aversive effects of chemotherapy, especially nausea, depression and fatigue. "

http://www.healthjourneys.com/what_is_guided_imagery.asp

thank you Suz

thank you Suz

Hello Suz, a few weeks ago I was trying to join this site and I remember getting frustrated because I just wasn't managing to register. Somehow, I came across the very bit where you suggested those sites about thinking positively which helped me a lot at the time since I had just heard from my cardiologist that my valve had started to show signs of deterioration. I was quite depressed all weekend after that and felt like blowing up at anybody that got near me. Have you ever felt like getting even with people for things the'd done to you in the past? Well, I did and the feeling was horrible. It was as if I wanted to blame others for what I was going through once again. You know, the WHY ME question. My body started letting me know that this sort of attitude could only do me harm. After that, I began to think up ways to make my life better rather than feeling sorry for myself and although I still feel down at times, I've managed to reach a middle ground and have come to terms with it all. My life hasn't changed much from what it was before I heard the news, but I'm trying to control my temper in order to preserve this valve for as long as I can and as well as that, I've got my seven year old daughter and I don't want to cause her any suffering. My husband Robert has also been great and has been giving me all the support I need. Well, since I'm here, I'd like to ask a question to any of you. Is there any way of slowing down the process of calcification on a tissue valve that's begun to thicken up? I've now had it for eight years and it's opening to 2.99cm2 and is not leaking. I still lead a normal life and haven't been affected by the change. Thank you all.Débora

Debora,

I am so glad you found this site and all the wonderful people here. I am very glad that you found the subject of maintaining a positive attitute that I brought up here helpful. I have looked into the subject of guided imagery and am trying to include in in my health regimine.

I have looked into the subject of preventing plaque build up and came accross including Omega 3 fatty acid products, such as flaxseed oil and fish oil. Of course you need to clear everything with the doc, but here is a good article from the American Heart association on the subject.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632

I am saying a little prayer for you and your family and I just know that you can get through this bump in life's highway. Just hang on and don't let go of the wheel!

best,
suz

very helpful

very helpful

Hi Suz, thank you for writing back. I've been gathering lots of information from many of you about everything I've always wanted to know about my situation. I've been feeling OK and more confident. Yesterday we celebrated my daughter's birthday and it was so rewarding seeing her little face as she opened her present to find her big Barney doll.She was delighted! Thank you again for your support and I too wish you all the best. Débora

Debora,

What a wonderful moment to share here, your daughter's bday and her joy at her gift. I am so happy for you! Life has blessed you with this!

I have had times where the ugly head of depression has crept up and I can relate to the replaying you described in your first post. It sounds like you have made progress, but please don't be afraid to reach out and get professional help if you need it. I know that it has helped me climb out of some holes in the past.

The people that frequent this site are just great. I have found so much great info and support here. You might want to start a seperate post inquiring about methods to reduce calcification and your recent heart health update. When you post in a thread the system only notifies those that have posted here before. I know you will get some responses on a seperate post. Also, things tend to be a bit slower on the boards over the weekend.

All the best,
suz

Hi Brian,

Did you mean this one? I ended up on this page, somehow, when I clicked on your link.

Invasive Procedures

If diet and exercise are not effective in treating heart disease, medication is usually prescribed. If the heart disease still persists in causing pain, an invasive procedure is usually performed. There are several types of procedures that may be used to improve blood supply to the heart.

To locate the arterial blockages, coronary arteriography (mapping of the coronary arteries) is done using a procedure called cardiac catheterization. A doctor guides a thin plastic tube (called a catheter) through an artery in the arm or leg and leads it into the coronary arteries. Then, the doctor injects a liquid dye through the catheter. The dye is visible in X-rays which record the course of the dye as it flows through the arteries. By mapping the dye's flow, the doctor identifies blocked areas. Once the mapping is done, the doctor can decide the best course of action.

One possibility is called percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA), also known as angioplasty or balloon angioplasty. The doctor inserts and guides a catheter toward the blocked area of the artery. Then a second catheter with a small balloon on the tip is passed through the first catheter. Once the balloon tip reaches the blocked area, the balloon is inflated. This compresses the plaque build-up, widening the artery for blood flow. Finally, the balloon is deflated and removed.

Another possibility is a coronary artery bypass graft surgery. A surgeon takes a healthy blood vessel from another part of the body (usually the leg or inside the chest wall) and uses it to construct a detour around the blocked coronary artery. One end of the vessel is grafted (attached) right below the blockage while the other end is grafted right above the blockage. As a result, blood can flow to the heart muscle again. In a double bypass surgery, two grafts are performed. In a triple bypass, three grafts. In a quadruple, four grafts.

The most radical possibility is that a transplant of the heart or a part of the heart is needed. When a healthy person dies, their heart can still be used. The patient's diseased heart is removed and the healthy donor heart is then attached. The operation is complicated because so many blood vessels have to be detached and re-attached. While the operation is taking place, the patient is connected to a heart-lung machine that keeps their blood circulating. After the operation, there is still a risk that the patient's systems may reject the new heart. Tissue types have to be perfectly matched in order for the transplant to be successful. As a result, the number of transplants performed is quite low.

Many patients do not survive the wait for a donor heart. Medical scientists have developed an artificial heart that may be used to keep the patient alive for a short time until a donor heart becomes available. Scientists have also experimented with transplanting an animal heart into a human. In 1984, a twelve-day-old baby girl, known as Baby Fae, received the heart of a seven-month-old baboon. A team of medical scientists from Loma Linda University in California performed the operation. Although Baby Fae died twenty-one days later, the experiment provided valuable research information for the future.

Every patient, no matter which kind of surgery the patient faces, experiences feelings of uncertainty and fear. The prospect of open heart surgery can be frightening and upsetting. Healthcare providers attempt to ease the stress by offering preoperative advice for patients.

http://www.fi.edu/biosci2/healthy/surgery.html

Actually, when I opened it, it went to a screen offering to show an OHS movie. I clicked on it, and it opened and ran the movie (very small, not very easy to see much). It is apparently an offering of the Frankin Institute Online.

I went to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, years ago with my son. It's mostly a children's museum, but quite tolerable for adults. They have (had?) a walk-through heart there, among many other things. Across the street is Rodin's The Thinker.

Is that what you were referring to?

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back