what to expect in pe-op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngmom

ok I got pre-op on june 14th what should i expect? I know blood work but will they test my lungs to see if they are strong enough endue the heart and lung machine?

Hi youngmom,

I just had my pre-op tests yesterday. They took 5 tubes of blood. Did an EKG, chest x-ray, Carotid Doppler US (Neck ultrasound) and finally patient education before and after surgery. Asked what few questions I had. Took about (4 1/2) hours for it all. They also gave me some soap to wash with days before surgery and some mouthwash to use pre surgery. Got a spirometer to practice on before I go to the hospital (breathing machine). I get to take it with me to the hospital.

That is about it. Nothing painful. More stressful than anything. If you have any questions please just feel free to ask. Kim

I had my lungs tested, they took blood, Xrays, information, and gave me instructions, surgical soap, but no mouthwash or spirometer.

In addition to blood tests , anti bacterial soap for my shower night before and chest x-ray, I also had urinalysis, EKG, physical exam by PA and meeting with anesthesiology the day before my second surgery. My first was emergent and I was in CICU prior to it.

Before my surgery in Cleveland last year, my lung function was thoroughly checked to help the anesthesiology group know lung capacity, oxygen absorption etc. I've never smoked and have normal lung function. I was very impressed by the thourough checkup even though I didn't particularly enjoy the arterial blood draw from my wrist.

I checked into the hospital the day before surgery. It was a Sunday, so the hospital was far more peaceful that day than a typical day. There was some paperwork to complete initially (most of the pre-admittance was taken care of over the phone previously) but the first thing they did was blood work and vitals. After blood work they brought in lunch and I met with staff for patient educational purposes. From there the staff gave my wife a tour of the hospital, ICU waiting room, ICU, etc. Meanwhile I had a chest x-ray and urinalysis done and met with the respiratory therapist to establish a baseline with the spirometer. They let me leave the hospital for dinner with my family. When I returned they shaved my torso and legs (for the men) and I had to shower with the antiseptic soap. All of the tests and meeting with the staff probably only took 60-90 minutes total, but it was spread throughout the day. So definitely bring an iPad or something to read. At least for me there was a lot of waiting in between various events.

Back