What Kind Of Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bulldog Is Curious

Bulldog Is Curious

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE ON-X AND THE ST.JUDE. MY CARDIO TODAY ACTED LIKE HE NEVER HEARD OF THE ON-X AND ACTED LIKE IT MUST BE IN THE PROVING STAGES.IS THIS THE CASE. IVE BEEN TOLD THE ON-X IS THE WAY TO GO BUT IF THEY ADVOCATE THE ST.JUDE AND I WOULD LIKE THE OTHER AM I SCREWED. :eek: I HAVE NOT TALKED TO THE SURGEON YET.
THANKS A MILLION I'LL TAKE ALL OPINIONS:cool:

The Standard St. Jude Mechanical Valve was designed 30 years ago and became the 'Gold Standard' for reliability after mechanical failures in the old ball-and-cage type valves started failing.

The guy responsible for designing the pyrolytic carbon leaflets is the SAME GUY who was involved in designing the valves made by CarboMedics, ATS Medical, and now, On-X. Each time he comes up with a better design, he goes to or forms a new company!

If you have read my earlier posts, you will note that there are over 50,000 On-X valves implanted world wide over the past 10 years (not exactly UNTESTED as your cardiologist suggested) with 5000 implanted in the USA over the past 5 years following FDA Approval.

You can read a LOT more about On-X at their website www.onxvalves.com Better yet, contact the company and ask for their information package which will tell you EVERYTHING you would want to know about the innovative engineering improvements in materials and design of the relatively new On-X valves (and how they compare with their primary competitors).

Bottom Line: Over the last 5 years, On-X Valves have had the LOWEST MORBID EVENT rate of any mechanical valve on the market.

'AL Capshaw' (On-X is my FIRST CHOICE for my upcoming MVR)

Here's some background information on mechanical valves:

ALL mechanical valves tend to cause clot formation and do some damage to blood cells.

First generation valves were the old style Ball and Cage Design which had a lot of drawbacks but were better than nothing (which was the only alternative 40 years ago).

Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Valves such as the St. Jude are second generation valves. Much better than their predecessors but still are known to cause clot formation (hence the requirement for anti-coagulation therapy with Coumadin). The downside is partially from materials, partly from turbulence (leaflets do NOT open to 90 degrees), and partly from mechanical design.

The On-X Valves use newer, smoother leaflet material, have improved flow characteristics (90 degree opening), and cause less damage to blood cells. All of this is explained in the LENGTHY reference materials supplied by On-X to anyone interested simply by contacting the company.

Bottom Line: Much Lower potential for Clot Formation with the third generation On-X valves, even with NO Coumadin. Studies are underway on Low Risk patients using Aspirin ONLY therapy. WITH Coumadin, the risk of clot formation is even lower.

'AL Capshaw'
(St. Jude Mechanical valve in Aortic Position,
requested On-X for upcoming Mitral Vavle Replacement)

My St. Judes Mitral valve has lasted over 15 years so far. (And Twinmaker has had hers for 25) My last echo in December showed it to be working well and free of tissue growth. Yippee! That being said - if I was having the replacement done today I would probably have the On-X as my front runner. The biggest reason is for it's properties that appear to be more clot inhibiting. A little of the reason may be because they are hoping that asprin or some other non-warfarin drug will be all that's needed for it. But I'm not convinced that those getting On-X's today will be approved for anything other than Coumadin.

How many valve patients has your cardio handled. I'm a bit surprised that he's not aware of the On-X. You would want a surgeon who has implanted the On-X as well. Actually - you'll want a surgeon who has done lots of VR - period.

Best Wishes!

Karlynn said:
My St. Judes Mitral valve has lasted over 15 years so far. (And Twinmaker has had hers for 25) My last echo in December showed it to be working well and free of tissue growth. Yippee! That being said - if I was having the replacement done today I would probably have the On-X as my front runner. The biggest reason is for it's properties that appear to be more clot inhibiting. A little of the reason may be because they are hoping that asprin or some other non-warfarin drug will be all that's needed for it. But I'm not convinced that those getting On-X's today will be approved for anything other than Coumadin....

Karlynn - I'll ask because I don't know. Could you have or could you develop a tissue growth problem after this many years? What occurs exactly with tissue growth? Is it scarring that creeps in the valve from within the heart? Is it similar to valvular strands or are they a type of tissue growth?

I think the likelyhood is less and less as the years go by. But I do know that my cardio always looks for tissue growth with my annual echos.

The On-X valve has (and Tobagotwo or Randy could do a much better job of explaining this) a barrier around the valve to inhibit tissue from encroaching on the moving parts.

Abbott ...

Abbott ...

I just finished writing my thank you letters to Dr. Kshettry and to the nursing staff at Abbott. I was blown away by the care I received ... before, during and after this surgery.

Dr. Kshettry stopped by my room (and his other patient's) rooms EVERY day (including on the weekends).

I understand he annually "vacations" in India and performs numerous valve replacements while there.

After doing a Web search on him, I quickly realized I did not need to see his credentials.

As far as valves ... Dr. Kshettry didn't seem to be ready to install anything but the St. Jude's valve.

Kshettry: Superhuman and a Super Human

Kshettry: Superhuman and a Super Human

Another post found elsewhere about Dr. Kshettry:

I know people are often looking for good surgeons, so I felt prompted to post mine.

His name is Dr. Vib Kshettry and he's located in Minnesota (minneapolis). He specializes in valve surgery, and specifically valve repair if at all possible.

I was blown away by his numbers. He does 150-200 per year at the hospital and another 100-150 per year all around the world for charity. He had been in Costa Rica doing surgery a few weeks before he operated on me.

So, if you are in the area and need a good valve surgeon - check him out!

Amen:

Amen:

Dr. Kshettry did my surgery as well. I was in and out of surgery in record time. He treated me well, and after recovery, I found that he had treated my wife with great kindness and assurance. I guess most of us love our Drs., and I sure loved mine & his staff.

Also, Dr. Kshettry was very influential in getting my home testing device. His word carries a lot of weight in Minnesota.

Hi Bulldog -

I am also new here... (see my post New Here right before yours - LOL). Welcome and I do know that you will be confident of your choice after reading everything here. It's very personal, but these folks know their stuff, so you will be able to learn from them. I have not made up my mind... I am doing my research before I meet with surgeon, but everything I read validates what I am leaning towards. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back