What is your Heart Rate?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart Rates vary widely

Heart Rates vary widely

Just like some people have bigger or smaller noses, they have different heart rates and genetic tendencies toward a faster or slower resting rate. Likewise, people have different maximum HRs. HR's can certainly be changed by being in especially good (or bad) shape. Typically, when someone's in good or athletic condition, their resting heart rate tends to drop by a few to several or even 10 or more beats. But that takes time and a lot of working out (the cardiovascular kind). At the same time, being in athletic condition will enable someone to exercise at a higher HR for longer periods of time and then recover to a lower rate quickly (although, recovery to one's lowest resting HR may take a few hours). Well conditioned athlete's, especially those who incorporate high intensity training can increase their max HR to some degree. Resting and exercise heart rates, by them selves are not necessarily indicative of good health or bad, but they can be. However, a change in your HR responses should be noted and reported to your cardiologist, especially if you notice an irregular rhythm.

I remember the first time I noticed my heart rate is 15-20 beats per minute higher than everyones... I was in 4th grade and the teacher asked us to take our pulses and tell the class our count. I think there was one kid with a resting pulse almost as high as mine. It's always weirded me out since.

HR's can certainly be changed by being in especially good (or bad) shape. Typically, when someone's in good or athletic condition, their resting heart rate tends to drop by a few to several or even 10 or more beats. At the same time, being in athletic condition will enable someone to exercise at a higher HR for longer periods of time and then recover to a lower rate quickly. However, a change in your HR responses should be noted and reported to your cardiologist, especially if you notice an irregular rhythm.

This is a good response. My resting heart rate is 54, prior to surgery it was mid 60s to 70. I think I am in better shape today than prior to surgery. I am able to exercise at a higher heart rate, for a longer period of time. For example today on the dreadmill, I ran 35 minutes at 4.8 mph, with the dreadmill raising the grade from 0 to 5. I was able to complete the grade 3 stage (about 10 mins), after a couple of minutes at the 5 grade, I let my heart reach 170 then lowered the treadmill to 1.5 grade, to allow recovery to 160. My heart rate recovers quickly, by the time I finish the last 5 min cool down, my heart rate is back to 105. By the time I finish stretching, it's back to the low 90s. Overall average heart rate for the entire 35 min was 154.

One thing to note, sometimes when I am at rest, I'll get a couple of fast heart rates, nothing lasting longer than a few seconds to a minute. I had atrial flutter post op. I also have an arrythmia that does not interfere with exercise, not yet anyway. (cross fingers).

No BBs for me.

Latest posts

Back