What is the future of AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

I was talking to a medical friend of mine who suggested that in as little as 10 years time stem cell technology is the future for AVR.

How cool would that be, growing your own valve!

I was talking to a medical friend of mine who suggested that in as little as 10 years time stem cell technology is the future for AVR.

How cool would that be, growing your own valve!

Yes cool. However here in the US many groups are not so thrilled over the idea of stem cell technology so it might be a while.

my understanding is that the UK may be doing this in the next 3 years. I guess their system is a little faster than dealing with the FDA.

my understanding is that the UK may be doing this in the next 3 years. I guess their system is a little faster than dealing with the FDA.

I'm not so sure it is totally the FDA. There are many religious, morality, political groups in the background that aren't even interested in the research aspect let along getting approvals. I am not surprised that the UK and most likely most of the EU are ahead of the United States. Time will only tell.

The controvesy is over embro stem cells. This is done with adult in fact the pacients own stem cells.

When it comes to Heart surgery, I highly suggest to anyone not to make decisions based on "What" the future may or may not hold. There have been many things that I've seen talked about in the last 8 years and not a single one of them have come to be as of yet.

As for stem cells, I'm out on that one. I can see where it can have some real benefit, but I can also see where it could be a complete disaster to allow man to monkey with these things.

Ross
I understand what you are saying. However, they are already putting blatters in children using this method and if memory serves me right they put the stem cell valves in 3 young patcients.
But taht being said I will have to make my decision on what I know is available today, I think that was your point.

Ross
I understand what you are saying. However, they are already putting blatters in children using this method and if memory serves me right they put the stem cell valves in 3 young patcients.
But taht being said I will have to make my decision on what I know is available today, I think that was your point.

Yes. We've had some people come in and base their decisions on what may or may not be, say 10 years down the road. Most of those things won't happen, but they are always being talked about as though it will happen tomorrow. We have to live in today and make choices made on what's available today. ;)

I remember, as a child, and my grandfather dying of lung cancer. A cure was right around the corner. Then in my 30's my father dying of lung cancer and a cure right around the corner. I guess one day we will turn that corner, but so many lives gone before that time gets here. What a shame. Life expectancy has gone up for many over the years though, so there is always hope.
Sharon

Yes cool. However here in the US many groups are not so thrilled over the idea of stem cell technology so it might be a while.

When you have a dad with a horrible case of dementia and Parkinson's and a 22 y/o son who can no loner walk due to a storke this stem cell is sounding fabulous....luckily someone was smart enough to finally pass it and our docs don't have to go out of the country to utilize it.

There might be hope for my young son to walk again.

Back