What happens to the sutures after AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraidofsurgery

I recently had an AVR with a prosthetic valve. A good friend asked me how the valve is sewn in to the heart/aorta interface so it will not leak. I could only find references to suturing techniques, but have no idea how this works. :confused: Does the aorta "grow" onto the valve ring? Do the sutures hold the valve in tight w/o leaking forever??

This question is really bugging me. If anyone knows more about the AVR than I (which should be most of you), I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!!
Patty A.

My understanding is your tissue does grow over the sutures sealing them even more so than the initial sewing. However, the sutures alone do an excellent job of preventing leakage. Sometimes mechanical valves that have been implanted for a long time do leak around the sutures and sometimes they do need replacing, but that is usually after 25 or 30 years if at all.

Get out the Raid

Get out the Raid

afraidofsurgery said:
I recently had an AVR with a prosthetic valve. A good friend asked me how the valve is sewn in to the heart/aorta interface so it will not leak. I could only find references to suturing techniques, but have no idea how this works. :confused: Does the aorta "grow" onto the valve ring? Do the sutures hold the valve in tight w/o leaking forever??

This question is really bugging me. If anyone knows more about the AVR than I (which should be most of you), I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!!
Patty A.

Patty,
I hope this kills the bugs.
When any valve(mech. or tissue) is sewn in to place, the sutures make the seal around the valve seat and hold it in place. Over time, heart tissue seeks to grow in to the valve suture ring. In the case studies where they have explanted an old mech. valve in favor a newer model, they usually remark about how well "seated" the valve is after 30 years. If you take a look at my
explanted valve:
http://www.warfarinfo.com/warfarinfor43years.htm
you will see my tissue has grown all around the valve, making the sutures unnecessary. Much like when a cut is sutured shut and when the skin heals, they are removed. One of the problem faced by some members is these tissue growth can become agressive and grow in to the valve leaflet, for other the tissue can become come "friable", resulting in leaks and the sutures tear from from the delicate tissue. These cases are rare. I have never seen a case study of "weak or broken sutures" in many searches of the subject.

Now, I've shown you mine.......GeeBee will you show me yours? :D :D :D

RCB said:
Now, I've shown you mine.......GeeBee will you show me yours? :D :D :D
I will be happy to as soon as I take it out of the jar and let it dry out (as you suggested). Although I guess I can take it out of the jar and just photgraph it that way. I personally think it's pretty disgusting to look at although I can't seem to "let go of it". Maybe I will ask my SO to take the pictures. :D :eek: :eek:

Explanted valve

Explanted valve

RCB said:
Patty,
If you take a look at my explanted valve:
http://www.warfarinfo.com/warfarinfor43years.htm

Wow, I didn't realize these ball and cage valves were plastic. Amazing the ball didn't break up into two pieces. An amazing story - well, it's not a story it's your experience!

Thanks for the info about sutures, etc., didn't think the sutures leaking or failing should be on my list of things to worry about, think I'll leave it off for good :)

Patty

Last edited:
geebee said:
I will be happy to as soon as I take it out of the jar and let it dry out (as you suggested). Although I guess I can take it out of the jar and just photgraph it that way. I personally think it's pretty disgusting to look at although I can't seem to "let go of it". Maybe I will ask my SO to take the pictures. :D :eek: :eek:

You know there is a lot of things I could say, but I'll just leave it alone because you are such a sweet girl :)

RCB said:
You know there is a lot of things I could say, but I'll just leave it alone because you are such a sweet girl :)
Oh - just go for it. I have a pretty thick skin (must be due to all that scar tissue). Besides, if you hurt my feelings, I'll just cry and make you feel bad. :D ;)

Not going to do it

Not going to do it

geebee said:
Oh - just go for it. I have a pretty thick skin (must be due to all that scar tissue). Besides, if you hurt my feelings, I'll just cry and make you feel bad. :D ;)

I wouldn't be hurt your feeling, but my comments would only get me in trouble. I just don't have to talent for these thing that Ross does- just the devilishly demented mind. :eek:

Wow.....I wasnt given the option of receiving my 'old bits' as a souvenir. That would have been cool, though I dont think that there would have been alot left of my dissected aorta and the original bisucpid valve. I do have the lab reports and all of my hospital notes, but they would make a pretty boring photo. Would have been cool to get a video of the Surgery, but that was the last thing on my mind throughout the whole emergency.

Bummer, :p

Chris :rolleyes:

In NJ, it's illegal for them to give you anything removed in an operation. I desperately wanted my calcified valve, but they wouldn't budge.

They did point out that it has usually been broken up or damaged anyway, and many are unrecognizable.

I still wanted it...

Best wishes,

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" Hmmm....how is it "giving" me MY valve?

Latest posts

Back