what does "aortography showed 2+ AI mean??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bramma22002

I had a heart cath-angiogram done & I don't understand some of the results. Please help with answers if you can.
What does the following mean:
1. right heart cath showed low right & left sided filling pressures.
2. there was systemic hypotension & the pulse pressure was not significantly widened.
3. the PA saturation was 70% & the cardiac output was 5.9L/min.
4. Aortography showed 2+ AI
5. the LV never completely opacified. The aortic valve was not crossed.
IMPRESSION:
1. Mod. AI (already known-& understand)
2. Mile focal CAD (understand)
3. Low right & left sided filling pressures (don't understand)
4. Slightly depressed cardia output (not quite sure what this means)
Thanks for your help
Debbie

Not looking for diagnosis/only definition

Not looking for diagnosis/only definition

Sorry-I have no responses-so, I am assuming that all who have viewed my original post thought I am looking for a diagnosis-I am only looking for any info on definitions within my listed questions. Especially looking for what "Aortography 2+ AI (Aortic Insufficiency?) What does the 2+ Mean?
Thank you - Debbie

Sorry I can't help you Debbie..but I'm sure that some savy wiz here on the forum will post soon. If it were me..I would contact your doctor and insist that he (or she) explain very clearly to you exactly what the findings are..in language that you can understand. There have been times that I have had had copies of reports and didn't fully understan them (and I'm a nurse) It is your doctors obligation to explain. I do find they will only answer questions IF you ask them. Good luck
Joan

Hi, my 2+ is now much higher and I'm still trying to find out the scale that the Doctors use to determine the insufficiency. All I know is that I had a 2+ for quite awhile and now mine is considered severe. What's severe 5+? I don't know.

Last edited:
Technical Stuff

Technical Stuff

Hi Debbie,

The answer to your question is highly technical and way over my head, for sure! Have you tried to contact the radiologist? He or she may be willing to explain. Sometimes other staff are willing to help a patient in the education process. Perhaps even the head nurse who oversaw your cath could help? Like you say, you're not looking for diagnosis-only an understanding of the resulting figures and a few definitions.

For the heck of it, I sent "Aortic Insufficiency" through the google www.google.com search engine. I got over 17,000 possible results. Of course I don't have time to review all of them, but I found a good definition (that I could understand) at http://perfline.com/student/ai.html

I did not find what the 2+ or any number associations mean, however.

Best of luck in your quest for knowledge.

Hi, I'm pretty sure the 2+ refers to the insufficiency scale, which is 1+ to 4+, 1+ being mild, 2+-3+ being moderate, and 4+ severe. I had my AVR in 7/2000, with AI of 4+. On the other had, some people w/less leakage may have more symptoms, it will just depend.

I don't know if this is the AHA scale or whose, but hope this info helps! Regards

Renee L said:
Hi, I'm pretty sure the 2+ refers to the insufficiency scale, which is 1+ to 4+, 1+ being mild, 2+-3+ being moderate, and 4+ severe. I had my AVR in 7/2000, with AI of 4+. On the other had, some people w/less leakage may have more symptoms, it will just depend.

I don't know if this is the AHA scale or whose, but hope this info helps! Regards
That sounds right, I never knew how high the numbers went.
Thanks for the info. ;)

Thanks to all who have responded & hope those who have just viewed have benefited

Thanks to all who have responded & hope those who have just viewed have benefited

Thank you all who have responded- I have sent private messages to all who have-but, want all those of you who have viewed this post & responded to know that I appreciate your help. Tho I don't post very often- I do view this site frequently - & I am very thankful for the information/education & sharing of feelings, opinions, heart felt sympathy & empathy that I have received by just viewing it.

To all - Simply Thank You-
Take Care- Debbie

hi debbie!
joey's cardio writes a report following any and every test he has done on joey. he always sends a copy to joey's internist and one to joey. you night want to request that your cardio do something similar?
good luck. sorry i couldn't be of much help, but others seem to be. please keep us posted.
-sylvia

Latest posts

Back