What are the weight restrictions after ascending aortic aneurysm repair?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenewmarket

My husband is very sensible in his work out program following aneurysm repair/BAV repair. He lifts light weights during his work out. However, my question concerns general life. For instance, we went on a trip this weekend and before I could react he lifts all the heavy suitcases and loads them in the car. What common sense restrictions have others been given following an aneurysm repair?

Some say 50 lbs maximum, although I've also read a limit of up to 1/2 your body weight which seems high to me.

Well, I guess the most important question is, how long since his surgery?

Right now, I am one month out. My limit was no lifting, pushing, or pulling anything over 10lbs. At my 1 month appointment it was raised to 20lbs. I am anticipating this limit to be substantially raised to 50lbs or more at 3 months and hopefully removed soon after but I do not know.
My surgeon was VERY serious on this point as I am 29 and a rather muscular individual. I'm having a hard time limiting myself. However, there have been many people in my situation who have over done it lately and have ended up back in emergency or worse. As my nurse told me, "you only have one chance to heal right the first time".

I understand how difficult it is to ask for help or break the cycle of doing things for yourself out of second nature, and I've probably over done it a few times myself. I would advise him to put extra thought into his actions at this point.

(just as a note, I had a 6" dacron graft installed recently to replace a rather sever ascending aortic aneurysm that went up into my arch. I had this done in conjunction with my valve replacement.)

Best Wishes!
Brian

Hi there
Interestingly enough I just had my six-week post-op visit with my Surgeon and asked him this very question. He said the weight restrictions are "for life" and that the maximum weight to be lifted for the average man would be approx. 80 lbs. (after full recovery, of course). For me, since I am tall and large boned, I will probably be able to lift 60 lbs. In the process of normal life circumstances and lifting...generally again he suggested not straining or holding your breath and using your legs as much as possible, not heaving extremely heavy things over your head, moving large pieces of furniture, etc. Guess I won't have to help with the next move!!
The key is to keep breathing through the lifting (not holding your breath as a lot of people do while they are bench pressing). The danger is not that the graft will pull loose or anything but rather than your blood pressure rises so high when you are straining...this is the danger. My surgeon believes that blood pressure control is an integral part of post-operative management and is a life-long endeavor. Target bp control is keeping it somewhere below 115. I take my bp several times a day and adjust my meds depending on what it is. Most of the time I take 25 mg of Atenolol twice a day.
I also had a total resection of my ascending aorta up to the arch replaced with a dacron graft and a valve repair.
These were my surgeon's restrictions and suggestions for me and may differ for your husand...you may want to contact his surgeon for more specific guidelines. Hope his helps!

My interpretation is that the weight restriction are anything that is a strain for you. For some people that would be 100s of lbs, but for others it may be 20 lbs. It all depends on your level of strength before your surgery and the time your willing to take to rehab.

That's my understanding three years after my surgery -- no purple-in-the-face straining. That's after full recovery. Early in my recovery, I was doing just 5 pound hand weights in supervised cardiac rehab, and gradually 50 pounds became the advised norm. Now it's just no-strain. My wife doesn't believe it, but I can lift even her packed suitcase easily. :D

I've really gotten careless with this I guess, with moving furniture around with purple-faced-straining and such. This thread has been a good reminder for me. In fact, I'm thinking that maybe pushing around that big heavy vacuum can't be too healthy either ;) ...

My understanding is that you can lift anything comfortable and that is an individual assessment.

Comfortable means that you are not holding your breath and having your face turn purple while lifting.

My cardio says simply, if you can continue to breath while lifting its fine......if you hold your breath a little thats ok in small doses.....but if your making noises and going red its not to be done.

I load the car with stuff, lift heavy computer equipment at work and move furniture at home etc.....lifting the kids is ok too.

Regards.

I got the 50 pound limit for life speech too. I'm not a muscle builder, but I'm very active. I ride a road bike 100+ miles a week and go to the gym 2 or 3 times.

The 50 pound thing is a static blood pressure issue. We are prone to having weak arterial walls and they don't want them to blow out on us.

But, I am 6'3" tall, weigh 195 and 50 pounds feels like a waste of time. On my upper body, I don't go above 80 pounds, which is more than the cardiologist likes but okay with the surgeon. On my legs, I figure they carry around almost 200 pounds all the time anyway, so I don't worry about them. I just don't do enough weight to strain.

I really don't know what the right answer is to this one. At least they've told me I don't have to worry about my heart rate when riding!

John

lifting

lifting

Hi,
I also heard somewhere along the way that there was a 50 pound limit. Don't know where but that is what I heard.
alpha 1

Back