What are the [ sport ] limitations after having the Ascending aorta and AV replaced?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheeet RunMartin

We all slow down as we age, who else is going to "stop and smell the roses" mid run or on a quad busting road bike climb. It won't be the young guy's with drool on their chins. It is us who will give credit to the statement. We have a responsible job to do bring realism to the statement.

I read on a scuba forum about a guy with a mechanical valve who deliberately freaked out the dive masters with his ticking mechanical AV.
When the dive group stopped to smell the reef, he would sneak up and go neutrally buoyant next to him. The dive master would hear his ticking MHV but could not isolate the location. I would have loved to have have been their, hey wait that's going to be me next year! I can hardly wait to pull this stunt off. I can read the dive masters thoughts ----"OMG I have a terrorist sporting an under garment slim jim car bomb in my dive group"! Head lines read-----airport scanners installed at dive resorts. LOL!!!

Thanks for the input

Sheeet RunMartin

We all slow down as we age, who else is going to "stop and smell the roses" mid run or on a quad busting road bike climb. It won't be the young guy's with drool on their chins. It is us who will give credit to the statement. We have a responsible job to do bring realism to the statement.

Bruce

I do not quite understand what you are saying!! All I meant to say was you can do whatever you want after surgery. Your body will tell you the limits.
I think that with having had the surgery several months ago and taking warfarin I am not as "gung ho" with some of the things I do BUT I STILL DO THEM:).

Martin

Last edited:
Bdryer, I have a dacron ascending aorta and a bovine valve. They also did a maze procedure because of some afib issues that were very intermittent.

There are no restrictions on exercise. Less than 6 months after surgery, I did a metric century, or 65 miles, on my road bike. 11 months after surgery I did a cross state organized bicycle ride where we went an average of about 60 miles a day for 7 days. I played basketball, even though I am old enough to know better.

The only issue I have ever read about is the weight lifting issue. I have read conflicting things. You can't do any upper body weights until your sternum is fully healed, but after that, there are differing opinions. My personal conclusion was that a bicuspid valve is part of a connective tissue disorder that makes one more subject to aneurisms. Now I'm not too sure that aneurisms aren't caused by calcification of the bicuspid valve. In any event, if we are more prone to aneurisms, heavy weight lifting could cause a spike in blood pressure and pop an aneurism in your brain or somewhere. I don't know if that is really an issue, but I just don't lift heavy upper body weights. Staying away from heavy weights isn't an issue either cuz my main exercise activity is riding a bike 100 or so miles a week.

Good luck. You'll be able to do whatever you want!

Hey gang

Thanks so much for the knowledge that I can pretty darn well return to being me. Some minor limitations accepted!

Hit the 6 months post op mark today and did a stress test. The cardiologist went ahead and removed all running restrictions. My weekly running mileage the past few weeks has been about 50 miles.

Returning to being you

Returning to being you

This kind of surgery is simply about getting something fixed so you can get on with your life.

-Philip

That's right on track. The sky's the limit, but you still have one more hurdle to pass. You now have to start seeing yourself as an athlete again and not a cardiac patient. Put away the attitude that you may be handicapped by this and return to being you again. Beware, shedding that baggage is a tougher assignment than you might think. It took me years.

Hey gang

Thanks for putting this set back in the right perspective!

I'm agreeing with others, the wait is the worst! I'm a doer, having the surgery behind me gets me doing, IE recovery, rehab, rebuilding and finally performing and enjoying my new found fitness.

Thx

Back