What are sports limitations with anticoagulation?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jewel

Are there any limitations when taking a blood thinner? I am new to this forum and when reading your postings, you all seem to be completely active! Right now I can't ski (water nor snow) nor play baseball with my son - I am looking forward to the days after valve surgery where I can! Yet, when choosing a valve I was steering away from the mechanical and blood thinners. Thoughts?

Hi,

I have a mech. valve and I do downhill skiing. It is not what all
medical proffesionals recommend maybe, but I think you have to
set your own standards and decide what you can or cannot do,
if skiing is important for your quality of life, I think you should do
it! I do wear a ski-helmet and maybe I take it little bit more easy
down the slopes, but I decided I wanted to do it. I also self-test
my INR and I can see that my INR is not out of range(too high) and
feel little bit assured about that in those situations.

You learn to live with Coumadine/warfarin, there´s not much I feel
I can´t do, but if I was a keen soccerplayer, maybe I would have been
more sad about it, it depends on your lifestyle and the way you want to
live. But I decided not to let coumadine/warfarin rule my life entirely, you
need to bend and adopt the rules a bit in order to fit yourself and your
lifestyle/situation.

/
Martin

Martin has said it perfectly. This ride ends someday for all of us so do what you want to do while you can and don't let Coumadin rule your life. You're in charge, not the drug. Certainly be careful in whatever you do, but that would be the same whether or not you're taking Coumadin. The best to you!

Jewel,

I play recreational slow-pitch softball (D league). I am much more comfortable in the outfield than the infield. That has as much to do with 50 year-old reaction times as it does with the Coumadin.

One thing that valve surgery has done for me is increase my desire to live life to the fullest, and it has enabled me to do so. I have far fewer physical limitations and fewer mental limitations now than before surgery.

Go for it! Les said it well........
Les said:
You're in charge, not the drug. Certainly be careful in whatever you do, but that would be the same whether or not you're taking Coumadin.

When I had my avr and then a pacemaker, I resigned myself to not being able to play hockey. I'm only a few months post-op, but I feel so good that it's tough to imagine *not* getting back on the ice at some point.

I agree with Martin: you have to decide what's important to you, and weigh that with your health concerns. Of course my doctor isn't too excited about the notion of me playing hockey, but he knows that I understand the risks. So, I suppose I won't charge as hard into the corners, I'll probably bulk up the padding a little, and I'll have to limit my post-game beer intake a little bit.

Talk to your doctor, of course, but in the end those decisions are yours to make :)

Tim

EDIT: This is mild, no-checking hockey for Old Farts I'm talking about. Didn't want people to think I'm going to be getting checked like the NHL. NHL...hmm...didn't they used to play hockey, too?

I'm fortunate that my cardiologist hasn't put any restrictions on my activities at all. I do triathlons, scrape my knuckles working on my cars, and operate chainsaws and other power tools in the yard.
I didn't realize how bad I felt until I got my St. Jude valve four years ago - I feel great now and intend to do as much as I can for as long as I can. Life is too short to worry about things that might happen...

Mark :cool:

Thanks Sportsfans

Thanks Sportsfans

You all make me feel MUCH better that I can actually go back to doing (moderately) what I really enjoy! I guess if I actually want to be a "member" of this club - I have to get more creative with my signature line - I am still trying to follow some of what you all write such as AVR 1993 - 1995?? I am in awe of your creativity with the quotes - great! And, I have new sports friends all over the globe - pretty darn good deal.

Sports to avoid on Coumadin:

- Most sports that involve someone throwing knives, darts, or circular saw blades at you

- Games that include leaping through closed glass windows or breaking mirrors with your forehead

- All games that involve placing extremities in a woodchipper or garbage disposal, or running with scissors

- Sports in which you are subject to being dragged at high speeds along rough pavement by a rope attached to your foot, especially if there is no wheeled device involved.

- Any sports that include a body count in the scoring

Of course, I'm not on warfarin, and this is my list to avoid, too.

Best wishes,

bob

bob

tobagotwo said:
Sports to avoid on Coumadin:

- Most sports that involve someone throwing knives, darts, or circular saw blades at you

- Games that include leaping through closed glass windows or breaking mirrors with your forehead

- All games that involve placing extremities in a woodchipper or garbage disposal, or running with scissors

- Sports in which you are subject to being dragged at high speeds along rough pavement by a rope attached to your foot, especially if there is no wheeled device involved.

- Any sports that include a body count in the scoring

Of course, I'm not on warfarin, and this is my list to avoid, too.

Best wishes,
Bob, I am new to this site as of monday....I just wanted you to know that I got a great laugh out of your response...think its the first time I have laughed since my valve replacement surguery 8 weeks ago....I have too many unanswered questions...But you answered one of them...I don't see running on you list of things not to do...LOL So guess I will start my running again....thanks Krista

Krista,

We have not found Coumadin/Warfarin to limit running. In VR.com, you'll find triathletes and marathoners (valvathoners :D ).

Of course at 8 weeks, you have some time before running is an option. Talk to your cardio about it.

Hi, Krista. I've had mine for seven and a half years and have never let myself be limited. I went downhill skiing for the first time this year without even thinking about it. But, I would have to agree with Martin when he suggests a skiing helmet. The next time I go, I am going to wear one. The only issue I had that day was falling and ramming the top of the ski pole into my sternum. :eek: :eek: Not fun, but I got up, uttered a few choice words, and went on. It was a great day on the slopes.

I'm glad to hear we have so many avid post VR skiers in the group. I have been skiing for almost 30 years and when I get my mechanical, there is no way I am going to give up my skiing. I used to be a member of the National Ski Patrol for 15 years. Having seen a lot of skiing accidents over the years and being educated on ski safety, I would like to make a few recommendations on ski safety to minimize your risks (most are common sense):

* Wear a helmet. Most helmets are designed to protect you against any significant injuries below 15 mph.
* Steer away from crowded slopes as much as possible. When I used to patrol in the crowded Southeastern slopes, I was more concerned about someone else running into me.
* Stay within your abilities. Don't let your friends convince you to go on the double blacks if you are an intermediate. You will not have any fun.
* Don't keep skiing if you are overly tired. I know we try to get our money's worth out of that expensive lift ticket, but it's not worth it if you get hurt.
* Make sure you wear a hat even if it messes up your hair. You lose most of your body heat through your head and it tires you quicker.
* Turn, turn, turn. There is no skill in bombing the hill.
* Stay off ice unless you are really really good and have a sharp pair of skis.
* If you own skis, get your skis tuned annually and request them to do a release check on the bindings.
* Make sure your boots are buckled and your feet do not move around inside. Your ability to control your skis starts with a good boot fit.
* Stretch out before you start skiing (I violate this rule a lot)
* If you are not used to skiing in mogels, work your way up to it on less challenging terrain.
* To avoid the pole in the sternum accident, don't try to stop yourself by putting your poles in front of you.
* Lastly, I will leave you with some advice I had to learn the hard way. Don't carry large metal objects in your pockets. I cracked a rib when I did a face plant and landed on my camera that was in my parka pocket on one ski trip. I kept skiing a couple of days after that but is was sure tough getting out of the bed in the morning.

Jim

I'm coming up 3 years on coumadin. I am age 64..but have a very active age 12 year old Grandson.....Out and about with him almost every weekend....My 2 cents..it's not the big things in life, like skiing, ect. but, the little daily things that you need to watch out for..like, not using a sharp knife in kitchen, (Ask a few of our recent members about that)going down icy steps, ect. After your surgery, think of the small things. :D NOT, the big things like sports...I am always very careful in shower, ect..Those are the places you should be concerned about....so far, so good for me. NO accidents..Bonnie

Bonnie, you are so correct. I am sure you need rethink how to adjust your life and everyday activities after you are on caumodin. I usually cut myself shaving at least once a month. I already thought about getting an electric razor. The biggest worry I have is how the body will react to an injury that produces a large hemotoma (i.e. falling in the shower).

As far as cuts go, I think there is some type of liquid bandaide out now to help w/ laserations to the skin? Has anyone on caumodin used this?

Jim

Jim,
I broke my foot a few years ago because (and this is really true) a 3# jar of spaghetti sauce fell through a hole in the plastic grocery bag onto the top of my foot. Needless to say, I had quite some under-skin bleeding with this one. In addition to a removable cast to deal with swelling, I spent a lot of time with ice packs. However, I came out OK. I have also had a few large hemotomas from running into things (desk corners, car doors) and again, ice was my friend.
I have used the liquid bandage but I really like the old fashioned band-aids. I don't really have an answer why.
Smiles, :)
Gina

Old Surfer Dude

Old Surfer Dude

Hi guys, new to the site. Thanks for your involvement, the site is great and I thank GOD for it. I like most of you live an active life style, huntiing, fishing, jet skiing etc. My main activity/obession for over 40 years has been surfing. I surf year round, sometimes facing 30 degree air, 40 degree water. I compete and last June won the Legends Division(55-65yrs) in the American Surfing Championships held in Huntington Beach, Ca. Just when I was really on a roll, I find out that my aortic valve is wearing out. As we surfers say-bummer! Got the news 3 weeks ago, surgery in about a month. I have been researching and as you well know I now face the dilemma of deciding either (bio or mechanical) the cumadin is my concern. I basically live on the beach, cuts, scratches and bruises are daily occurrences. As far as the head trauma is concerned, GATH INC. makes a water-sports helmet. I have never worn one but it looks like things have changed. Drop me a note, I know that ultimately I will have to make the decision, but input from others is good. To the guy that posted the activities not to participate in, thank you very much. I had not found much to laugh about lately, when I read his post I laughed until I cried, it was like releasing a pressure valve, just what the doctor ordered. ps- give me a few months and then contact me about surfing lessons, I hope to be available and any fellow "valve guys" will get a big discount. Gods Blessings Charlie B 2 Timothy 1/7

Limit risk, don't let risk limit you...

Be mindful of the fact that you MIGHT be prone to clot slower than most folks, but don't let that slow you down. You might also be a little more sensitive to bruising and other problems related to anti-coagulation therapy, but remember that a big cut is going to be hard to stop on ANYONE, regardless of the medications they take.

I think it's more important to be aware of possible complications and simply adapt your activities where it might be more prudent, like wearing a helmet when surfing. Kicking the board into your head's gonna do damage regardless of whether you're on anticoagulants or not, the question really is in how much, where, why, and how to treat an injury should the nose of your board come up and kiss your forehead.

Like most sports, surfing is an activity that carries some risk of physical injury. As such, you take certain precautions against the range of injuries that could occur. That's why baseball players don't wear full contact padding like football players do, they don't need it... Some pads tend to go across the board for most sports because they protect areas of the body that often get hit, but the shape and the protection of the pad varies dpending on the type of sport and the range of motion required for the athelete. Shin guards are a good example. A hockey shin guard is going to be VERY different from one used in soccer though they're both for the same general purpose, just need to protect against different forms of impact to the same area of the body.

A lot of people carry identification in the form of a bracelet, necklace, anklet, or wallet card that offers some basic critical health information such as the presense of allergies, diabetes, or anticoagulant therapy. Emergency medical responders will look for these things and can use the information to give better treatment or collect additional information through 1-800 numbers usually listed on the ID's.

Perhaps a bracelet or anklet like that might be a "minimal" step you could take to better protect yourself, in addition to the helmet should you opt for one.

My best quotes come when I'm in a drug induced haze....

Been fighting a cold for a few days and last night I was pretty well jacked up on meds because I had to shoot a hockey game for the newspaper.

In addition to my usual "cocktail" of meds for my heart, I had Coricidin HBP and Tussionex (narcotic cough supressant) running through my veins... :D

I'd think that the only deal would be that blood sports are out if you're taking Coumadin. Hope you're not an avid boxer. I got rid of my motorcycle after I went on Coumadin, thinking that road-rash was probably now a potentially terminal condition.

Although I did make sure they put my pacemaker on the left since I'm an avid shooter (right-handed).

Myself, I'd get a mechanical valve (I've got a St. Jude's mitral) unless you're planning on being dead in 10-15 years, anyway. Bio valves wear out, and 10-15 years from now you'll be 10-15 years older and open heart surgery will be harder on you.

Coumadin really is little more than an annoyance. I was 55 when I went under the knife, and I figured that another open-heart surgery when I was 70 to replace a biological valve have a fair chance of killing me. And I prefer being annoyed to being dead. Had I been 70 at the time I probably would have gotten a bio valve, since it would be truly astonishing for me to make it to 85.

Latest posts

Back