What about the other heart valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you are correct with regard to comparison of the aortic valve to the pulmonary and tricuspid valves, which are on the right (lower pressure) side of the heart. My understanding is that defects and leakage in these valves tend to, as you suggest, remain more occult and have to become fairly advanced before really being noticed. The mitral, however, IS on the high pressure (left) side of the heart, and has to deal with the same pressures that the aortic valve does, the difference being that the mitral valve has to hold tight against the pressure generated by contraction of the left ventricle where the aortic's job is to let the blood pass freely out of the heart. Different functions, different failure modes, equally catastrophic, and we all end up as part of this happy group of campers on this forum;)

And then there are folks like myself who go under thinking they are going to wake up 4-6 hours later with an On-X aortic valve and an aortic graph, only to wake up 17 hours later (I like holding fluids, apparently :wink2: ) with a porcine aortic valve, an aortic graph AND a repaired mitral. The mitral wasn't even on the radar until the aortic was sewed up and the additional pressure showed it's effect on the mitral. Now, 2.5 years later, I simply know that everything still works ten times better than it did when I entered the OR.
Point here is simple...any time anyone has OHS, it's a big deal regardless of the procedure. All of us posting here today are doing so as living testimony to the skill of cardiac surgeons worldwide. Let's focus on that instead of bickering over 'my valve is more important than your valve' type semantics.

i just had, three weeks ago my mitral and aortic valves replaced with mechanical ones. i would like to know how many of us have double valves replaced.(in same surgery)

And then there are folks like myself who go under thinking they are going to wake up 4-6 hours later with an On-X aortic valve and an aortic graph, only to wake up 17 hours later (I like holding fluids, apparently :wink2: ) with a porcine aortic valve, an aortic graph AND a repaired mitral.
You asked for an On-X. Why didn't they go with what you asked for?

kfay said:
I've had my tricuspid valve replaced with a porcine valve.

kfay,

I'm curious what the doctor told you about how long a tissue valve would last in the tricuspid position. Is it expected to last much longer than an aortic tissue replacement (10-15years)?

Hi JKM7. I am new to this forum and noticed that your surgeon was from Mass General. I have moderate - severe mitral valve regurgitation and will need surgery (either repair or replacement) at some point. I live in Massachusetts and was hoping that you will share the name of your surgeon at Mass General and provide me with some insight into what factors made you choose that particular surgeon. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi JKM7. I am new to this forum and noticed that your surgeon was from Mass General. I have moderate - severe mitral valve regurgitation and will need surgery (either repair or replacement) at some point. I live in Massachusetts and was hoping that you will share the name of your surgeon at Mass General and provide me with some insight into what factors made you choose that particular surgeon. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

I am very sad to have to tell you my wonderful surgeon, who repaired my heart two times in four years, passed away on the Christmas Day following my second surgery. I've always found some spiritual meaning in that being the date of his death. Every heart surgeon at Mass General is top notch or they wouldn't be there.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the entire care experience in that facility.
We are so lucky to have two such outstanding heart centers in Boston where we can be treated. Mass General and Brigham and Womens always are very high on all rankings.

If you have any specific questions about the heart surgery experience at Mass General I am more than happy to help in any way I am able.

Wow. Having had my MVR done by Dr. Gillinov's partner, Tom Mihaljevic, I'm very hopeful about the 20 year (and beyond) odds. And, yes, the Cleveland experience was incredible and highly recommended.

I have mitral! . . rheumatic . . . I'm not even sure if my valvuloplasty counts as a repair - it was definitely an easy procedure compared to OHS. Prior to December, it had left things totally stable for 11 years. In Dec cardiologist did not like some things he saw and put me on 6 month echoes, hence the hanging around here just to start getting informed. Will likely be OHS next time since I now have regurg not stenosis.

Hey FGMA

As JKM said, we are lucky to have two such high quality hospitals in our area. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I went to the Brigham and had Dr. Prem Shekar for my mitral repair. One of our family friends is in medical sales and he checked around with some of his cardiologist customers to see who they would use. And I felt totally comfortable on my visit to the Brigham for the second opinion, and never checked out Mass General.

i just had, three weeks ago my mitral and aortic valves replaced with mechanical ones. i would like to know how many of us have double valves replaced.(in same surgery)

So this was posted a good while ago. I'm having both replaced next Thursday along with my ascending aorta. I had just the mitral done 7.5 years ago. That was bad enough thanks!

Back