Well! Wow. o.o. Long time, but yay!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashkir

Wow. I cannot believe it has nearly been an entire year since I had my third open heart surgery. Let me give a crash course of how it went. ^^.

Well. I went in for a cardiac catheterization. I woke up in the middle of it in pain. I was given a mild sedative due to I was actually really freaked out about a giant hole in my groin. xD. I wanted to sleep through it, so they let me. I lost feeling in my right leg, of which they did the catheterization. So they quickly finished up, and the nurse helped calm me and talked to me the rest of the procedure.

The discharged papers got signed, and I was to go home. But as soon as I got up I collapsed and my face turned ghostly white according to the nurse. Even though it was a side effect he ordered that I stay overnight and they got me a room all to myself. :).

The next day, a group of doctors came in to talk to me and my mom and my dad. I was nineteen at the time, but my parents still came. :). The results of the catheterization came in and they determined they needed to do an emergency surgery. They said if they waited a month I would've been dead. They also looked into my Kawasaki Disease, as they thought there was a possible relapse. (Which is even rarer because I have no Asian ancestry, I am Caucasian)

They decided they'd start the medications that night for my surgery. They called the surgeon in who would be performing it, Edwin Petrossian. He is the medical director of cardiovascular surgery at Children's Hospital, and he is a professor with Stanford University. He is most known for his expertise and interest in complex pediatric and congenital cardiovascular surgical repairs. He also often times guest teaches at the University of California, San Francisco.

All the doctors I had were some of the world's most renowned heart cardiologists and people certified in the fields. Many work with the University of California, San Francisco, Los Angeles or Stanford. My main cardiologist was actually named doctor of the year. Many of my doctors have a very special interest in my case because it was highly unusual, and anyone who has ever gotten anything similar to what I had actually has passed away before surgery can be done. I am the longest living survivor, and my congenital defect has no known name.

The surgeon, Edwin Petrossian explained to me in detail exactly what he plans to do. They decided they were going to use an experimental technique to attempt to use donor tissue to repair the valve, and cut my left ventricle in half by patching up half of it to be unused, because it had expanded far too much. If the repairs did not hold, they gave me options:

1) Mechanical valve.
2) Tissue valve.
3) Take my pulmonary valve and replace it with the aortic and bring in a tissue pulmonary.

He explained which each would have best effect for lifestyles. For example #3 was best for people that are very athletic. I was a best candidate for a mechanical valve. My parents argued over which was the best, but I choose mechanical valve myself because I had researched and talked to my doctors about their recommendations. The catheterization proved that my aortic valve was not shutting at all and that my left ventricle has grown too big to weaken the heart.

This surgery was supposed to be from five to six hours. The surgeon promised to clean up my old scar and to use new scaring techniques that just started getting used within a few months before my surgery. I died during the cracking of the chest cavity. I was dead for over a minute, and was successfully resuscitated. The doctors were afraid I would've received brain damage.

The old scar tissue from my previous surgeries attached itself to my heart and to my chest cavity. They couldn't see the scar tissue on xrays, and it was very unusual for them. My innominate vein ripped in half, as so did my aortic valve. They repaired the innominate vein using the experimental tissue procedures, and it held. But when they went to repair the aortic valve the damage was too great. They attempted but it fell apart quickly.

They replaced the valve with a mechanical valve from St. Jude Medical Research, and used tissue to close a part of the left ventricle. Afterwords, the doctor did what he promised and took the time to clean up the scars from the last surgeries (they've gotten hideous and took up a lot of my chest).

I was surprised he actually took the time to clean up the scars, as well, I had complications. The surgery that was to be 5-6 hours ended up 15-16 hours. I had a lot of complications after the surgery as well. They couldn't wake me up when they first tried to. My body wouldn't breathe for itself, and they felt the machine has done it too long. My body was extremely swelled up as well.

Within a few days, I started to breathe on my own again. About a breath per minute. My family was there from all over to be by my side, as nobody knew what the outcome was going to be. Did I have brain damage? Will I make it? Not even the doctors were sure. The surgeon, according to the nurse, did not go home for a week. He performed another surgery that week, but spent most of his time overseeing the team of nurses and doctors that had to attend to me. My lungs collapsed on the third day I believe. They were not fully drained yet, or working yet, but it did not help that they collapsed. I started coughing up blood. This freaked them out even further.

They even had a respiratory systems doctor at my side for nearly a few days straight, nearly nonstop. I had full time nurses at my side. There was not a moment where I did not have nurse overlooking me. Any time one left, another one came in. Even for lunch breaks or bathroom breaks. The doctors were always on call and checked in multiple times during the day and night.

When I regain consciousness, I realized I had lost the ability to speak. As much as I tried I couldn't speak. The nurses and doctors quickly realized I had regained consciousness, as the machines told them. They gave me a pen and paper to write on. I was able to write my questions. My doctor, the surgeon, Dr. Petrossian came in and told my family in front of me to not lie to me. He said lying made everything worse.

First thing I wrote was that I couldn't speak. The nurse quickly explained why. My lungs and throat were not cleared out yet. I then asked if I got a mechanical valve or not. My parents hesitated to answer the question. But, wow, it took FOREVER to write such simple questions.

Stuff kept coming up out of my mouth. And I kept feeling like I was choking, was either hold onto it, spit it into my eyes, or swallow it. So I kept asking for it to be suctioned out. The nurse said I was suctioning way too often. The doctor said just hand me the freaken suction thing and let me do it myself. It amazed them that I gagged myself because I can feel where the stuff was stuck and bothered me so much.

This one nurse...who looks a lot like my favorite was not my full time nurse, but took over when the full time one left, or when she needed help. This nurse came up with an idea to help clear my throat. As I kept grabbing the suction. xD. She got a really really small tube to add onto it. And she pushed it down my throat. This caused me to throw up all over the bedding and the floor. The nurse was freaked out because it was really bright red. They cleaned it up fast and she removed the tube. I still had my suction thing. xD. When I saw that nurse again I thanked her, because of this I was suctioning less, and I was able to speak very lightly. The doctor later said it caused my body to push out most of the stuff, which was actually really, really good for my lungs for some reason.

Well. A lot more stuff happened but none of it was really critical. My blood work was highly unstable for the entire month I stayed in the hospital. I know a month. ><'. Nearly a year later, it is still unstable, but doing much better. My heart is showing signs of recovery, and they're glad about it. ^_^.

I lost twenty pounds in the surgery, and I am officially underweight. I still need to gain weight, even a year later. Trying to gain weight is harder then it looks!

I did upload some photos to my photo album. :]. Feel free to show them to people you know that may undergo a heart surgery, or curious of direct after effects looks. ^^. http://rawr.mp/albums/4827 :]

Well. Sorry for the wall o' text. o.o.

Oh. Medications! I take 6 MG of warfarin on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. 5½ on the other days. Aspirin 81 mg daily. 20 MG of Lisinopril. While I was in the hospital, they tried several different medications to see which I reacted best to. I originally started off taking about 2 MGs of warfarin daily; but the dose kept increasing. They feel my body is getting used to warfarin too quickly.

They feel my body is getting used to warfarin too quickly.

No such thing. INR changes constantly and so does your dose, especially at the beginning. the correct amount of Coumadin is that which keeps you in range. Some people can get by on 1mg a day and some take as much as 20mg or more per day.

Your nightmare sounds very much like mine. I was in CSISU for a total of 50 days and that was only my second OHS. It would take a miracle for me to survive another.

Sounds like your doing good all in all. How are you feeling?

Album is cool too!

No such thing. INR changes constantly and so does your dose, especially at the beginning. the correct amount of Coumadin is that which keeps you in range. Some people can get by on 1mg a day and some take as much as 20mg or more per day.

Your nightmare sounds very much like mine. I was in CSISU for a total of 50 days and that was only my second OHS. It would take a miracle for me to survive another.

Sounds like your doing good all in all. How are you feeling?

Album is cool too!
I have blood work this week. I am afraid they're going to increase the dose again. The last three results my dose was increased. Funny thing is, my diet is staying constant. =/.

Fifty days. Wow. o.o. I thought thirty was bad. >_>.

I am feeling great now. I really want to get to college, but doctors are recommending me to hold off. All this time, becoming three years holding it off. I lost my SAT papers, so I need to cough up cash to retake the SATs, recontact high schools, etc. And I need to actually learn everything I forgot again. haha.

I did, however, since my surgery make a name for myself. I am now an administrator for AboutUs.org (I actually was before, but am now more involved) and I have a community champion status for Chi.mp. ^^.

I am REALLY glad to have regained the ability to swallow. I had a hard time trying to swallow anything until recently, after my surgery. I still take my liquids through a straw, as a fast intake as I was once used to makes me choke. Doctor believes my throat is too highly irritated still. But, I don't need food and liquid thickeners at least. ^_^

I plan on uploading more to the album as I find my other photos. I think my mom misplaced her digital camera. XD. I uploaded them for family, but decided to not make them private as others may want to see what it looks like postop.

Oh. One thing I am so glad about is now I can sleep on my stomach again. xD. I move my legs every few minutes. Don't know why, I do it when I'm awake and asleep. The nurses strapped my legs down after I regained consciousness in ICU because they inserted a central IV thing in my left groin. ><. Two giant holes in the groin in one week sucks >_>. I move a lot when I sleep. And, I do mean, a lot. I literally tear apart my beds. Blankets, sheets, everything is torn up and thrown about. haha. In the hospital, I had enough things on the sides of me (pillows, blankets) to stop me from turning.

My mom slept aside me on a queen bed at her house for the first few weeks I stayed there. I slept on her small couch much of the time, or had my childhood dog next to me. He knew to stay off my chest, and realized it quickly as I pushed him down and showed him fresh scar. (He's a smart dog :3). I laid on the edge of the bed, and he'd lay right next to me, my shoulder and head. And he would bark and growl if I half rolled over on him. XDDD.

So glad I don't have to watch for this anymore.

At least my mechanical valve is quiet. I cannot hear it myself. I am slightly hard of hearing, luckily. People standing really close to me can hear it however. Or when I just ran around the block it gets really loud. A nurse actually had to bring in a stethoscope (sp?) that had volume control for me to hear it. XD

You have been through a lot! Happy 1 year anniversary. You need to celebrate that year being OVER! Hope everything goes weel for you. Best of luck.

August 13th correct? Your one year anniversary?

If your having problems with your Coumadin dosing, come see us in the anticoagulation forum. More often then not, it's not you, it's the people managing you that are making the mistakes.

Wow - what a story. Another walking miracle for VR!

Don't be afraid of having to take more Coumadin. No such thing as too high a dose if your INR is in range. We had one member that was taking 25/day. There is no different affect on your body with higher doses. It just means you're metabolizing it faster. And it's not unusual for the dose to go higher as you recover. And you are still recovering. Ross is right - stop by our anticoagulation forum with your INR's and associated doses and we might be able to figure out if there are issues.

Amazing story. It sounds like you keep a positive attitude which I believe can help greatly. Good luck on your recovery and college will be waiting for you when your ready. BTW has anyone every told you that you look a little like the singer of Green Day (that is a compliment) Good luck!!!

Kris:)

They also looked into my Kawasaki Disease, as they thought there was a possible relapse. (Which is even rarer because I have no Asian ancestry, I am Caucasian)

Kawasaki disease is named for Dr. Tomisaku Kawasaki of Japan, who first described the disease. According to Wikipedia:

By far the highest incidence of Kawasaki disease occurs in Japan (175 per 100,000), though its incidence in the United States is increasing. Kawasaki disease is predominantly a disease of young children, with 80% of patients younger than 5 years of age. The disease affects boys more than girls. Kawasaki was extremely uncommon in caucasians until the last few decades. Approximately 2000-4000 cases are identified in the United States each year.

John Travolta's son, Jett, had it. Not believed to have been a factor in his death.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are very strong and have a great attitude. It clearly served you well getting through a very rough stretch.

Wishing you the best health possible for a long, fulfilling future.

Thanks for sharing your story. You have gone through alot I pray everything continues to go well. Your album was great brought back memories. Sounds like you've got great family and friends and that always helps us get through the rough roads ahead of us.
God Bless. :)

Thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like you had a heck of a time during your last surgery and I'm so glad to know that you are here to tell about it. I hope that your recovery continues to go well and you can get on with your dreams and plans.

btw: My son takes 4 mg. of coumadin and he only weighs 40 lbs.....

To all; I have no problems with my photographs being used to show others what it may look like afterwords. Surgery is scary, but, I myself, wanted to know everything before hand for some odd reason. Not sure if others are like that or not. But, I never seen photos such as these around except produced by Hollywood. These are real. And it was real.

:3.

I don't know how hard things like this is from a friend, wife, husband, child or a parent perspective. Most I have is er, the worry of my nephew with meningitis. =/

Now onto the quotes!

You have been through a lot! Happy 1 year anniversary. You need to celebrate that year being OVER! Hope everything goes weel for you. Best of luck.
Thanks. ^_^. Kind of excited about it. :3.

Thanks for posting your story...and your photographs are great.

Best wishes,

Jim
Not a problem.

August 13th correct? Your one year anniversary?

If your having problems with your Coumadin dosing, come see us in the anticoagulation forum. More often then not, it's not you, it's the people managing you that are making the mistakes.
Well! Blood results came in. No change! But, my oxygen level was low. o.o.

Wow - what a story. Another walking miracle for VR!

Don't be afraid of having to take more Coumadin. No such thing as too high a dose if your INR is in range. We had one member that was taking 25/day. There is no different affect on your body with higher doses. It just means you're metabolizing it faster. And it's not unusual for the dose to go higher as you recover. And you are still recovering. Ross is right - stop by our anticoagulation forum with your INR's and associated doses and we might be able to figure out if there are issues.
They assigned me a new medication on Christmas Eve before. Doctors pick odd times. ><'.

Amazing story. It sounds like you keep a positive attitude which I believe can help greatly. Good luck on your recovery and college will be waiting for you when your ready. BTW has anyone every told you that you look a little like the singer of Green Day (that is a compliment) Good luck!!!

Kris:)
Thanks for your kind words. ^^. I hope to jump straight into a job market. I may be able to dodge college all together as I somehow became an expert in my favorite hobby/field. XD.

<3.

Kawasaki disease is named for Dr. Tomisaku Kawasaki of Japan, who first described the disease. According to Wikipedia:

By far the highest incidence of Kawasaki disease occurs in Japan (175 per 100,000), though its incidence in the United States is increasing. Kawasaki disease is predominantly a disease of young children, with 80% of patients younger than 5 years of age. The disease affects boys more than girls. Kawasaki was extremely uncommon in caucasians until the last few decades. Approximately 2000-4000 cases are identified in the United States each year.

John Travolta's son, Jett, had it. Not believed to have been a factor in his death.
Kawasaki disease is brutal. :[. At least it is curable, if caught early enough.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are very strong and have a great attitude. It clearly served you well getting through a very rough stretch.

Wishing you the best health possible for a long, fulfilling future.
Thanks! I had no problem. xD. I grew up learning to except death. I was never supposed to even make it to adulthood, let alone my teen years, let alone age five. My doctors say I am a walking miracle. o.o.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your story. You have gone through alot I pray everything continues to go well. Your album was great brought back memories. Sounds like you've got great family and friends and that always helps us get through the rough roads ahead of us.
God Bless. :)
I have a lot of great friends and family. It is nice to know there are several out there that care. Even if I don't believe in life after death, I find the thought of a prayer being said comforting.

Thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like you had a heck of a time during your last surgery and I'm so glad to know that you are here to tell about it. I hope that your recovery continues to go well and you can get on with your dreams and plans.

btw: My son takes 4 mg. of coumadin and he only weighs 40 lbs.....
Wow. xD. I hope all goes well with your son. I know it must've been hard.

Latest posts

Back