Weight Gain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenrc

Boston, MA Medical care at Brigham & Women's, surg
Hi all,
I am nearly 4 months post-op and am wondering if I still need to be concerned over the 2lb/2days (or 5lb in a week) rule? I know I ate some salty things yesterday and was trying to watch it today, but I did have some sushi. It could be just that I've had extra sodium the past day of two. Going to see what the scale says tomorrow, I guess.

Any thoughts?

I watch my weight almost daily, and am sometimes very surprised at the amount of fluid I can pick up from one or two meals. Sometimes as much as 5 lbs, and I only weigh about 165 before the extra. I don't worry until the extra weight has been with me for a week, or unless it continues to increase. I'm now nearing two years post-surgery and have never had more than a minor worry over the fluid - meaning that even the times I picked up 5 lbs., it cleared within a week or so of normal eating and exercise. My reasoning is that fluctuations up and down are a normal thing for a heart patient; upward trends are not.

Latest posts

Back