weight gain pre-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andrea

I have gained some weight since my heart got really bad the last few months... did anyone else experince this? People tell me that I will probably shed a bunce of weight post-op.

Also I wonder if this could be to a medication that I started taking 3 months ago. It's called Celexa and its for anxioty or something. Since it got in my system I have noticed the weight gain. One of the possible side effects is weight gain or loss. Has anyone here taken this medication also? I told my Doc it was working great two weeks ago and she upped the dosage from 20 mg to 30. Then I got to thinking about it and realised the weight gain might be from it and so I am only taking the 20. Plus, I think it has had another uhh intimacy effect that kinda slows me down... hmmm maybe I should stop taking it.

Hi Andrea,

In May, before I had a Valvuloplasty done on my Mitral valve I was told to stop playing hockey. Actually I was told to stop everything physical. I've ended up gaining 40lbs.

Now, after I had my procedure I'm having the hardest time taking the weight off. I've been going to the gym 5 days a week for at least an hour, and I've started up with my hockey again at 1 day a week. I've maybe lost one pound...Yay! :p

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and I'm going to ask him if this seems normal. I don't pig out on junk food, actually I haven't really eaten anything junkie in the past month just to see if I can lose some of this girth. But nada.

I'm not on any meds right now, except "the pill" (which I'm now wondering if it could be the culprit) but I was on Nadolol, and Indapamide before the procedure.

I know I can always eat better, but I do enjoy living every now and then.

Hmm ... I'm on the pill too. Maybe when taken in conjunction with heart meds its a double whammy lol.

Anxiety meds and tranquilizers can cause weight gain - as will many other meds. When you have heart surgery, most of us have found that there is weight loss of about 15 lbs - but when we eventually resume our previous life styles, it comes back to what it was before surg.

What a pretty young lady you are.

Hi Andrea,

Celexa is an anti depressant drug. Most anti depressants will make you gain weight. My daughter is Bi-Polar/Manic Depressive,
and was taking that drug in addition to other anti depressant drugs before. At one time she was on 4 different ones. It never made a bit of difference in her moods. She gained a bunch of weight and has a very hard time getting it off now.
During surgery and during the first few weeks after you come home you will lose some weight, but as you start to feel better it'll come right back. Wish I could tell you different.

Hope you will do well.

Christina

Back