Weight gain on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoeey2011

Has anyone noticed a weight gain since being on Wafarin. I have read a view comments on the internet that Coumadin causes weight gain. I have noticed about 10 extra pounds that I can not seem to get rid of. I am concerned about going on too strict of a diet because of my INR. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I posted something similar in another thread. Weight gain is generally related to our hormones (thyroid function), food intake, activity level and sleep. Manipulate those variables and either weight goes on or off. We, generally, cannot out-train a bad diet, but as a start you can always eat 4-6 smaller meals per day and briskly (though comfortably) walk for 30-45 minutes twice a day. You will see positive changes by the end of week 1. Of course, I am assuming that you are drinking plenty of water around 8 - 16oz cups (not soda or juice - water).

Always consult your physician before starting a diet and exercise plan, if they clear you, I'd be happy to offer more guidance.

Never heard of warfarin causing weight gain. Many people do put on weight after surgery due to lower activity level at first. Absolutely nothing wrong with a strict diet on warfarin as long as you keep it consistent and make it a gradual change- for example, immediately going from 2000 to 1500 calories a day is not a good idea so do this over time.

No to the weight gain due to Coumadin,
BUT... if you are taking other heart meds, like a beta blocker, or other med that does lower your heart rate, then you could gain weight.
The slower your heart rate, the lower your metabolism will be.

Rob

No to the weight gain due to Coumadin,
BUT... if you are taking other heart meds, like a beta blocker, or other med that does lower your heart rate, then you could gain weight.
The slower your heart rate, the lower your metabolism will be.

Rob
I totally agree with this. There are so many factors regarding those extra pounds, but I absolutely do not believe that warfarin has anything to do with it.

Back