Wasn't expecting to be back here!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last word from Scott

Written 5 hours ago

It's been a quiet couple of days, thank goodness. Cherie has remained in the ICU for closer monitoring and is doing well. This morning she had her chest tubes removed which is good however they are going to keep her in the ICU for a while to make sure she doesn't have any bleeding issues and she has some fluid in the lungs still so they're watching that also. If all goes well, she will once again be moved to a different room later today or tomorrow.

I've been passing on everybody's messages to her and she really appreciates them all. She's had some moments of sarcasm so that's a good sign, I think!

Thanks,

Scott

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:​

Hot of the press

Hot of the press

Today in the news;

Lets try this again.

Written 11 hours ago

Moved from ICU to the step up section, again. Lets see if we can keep from moving backwards this time. We were glad to see that Cherie got the same nurse that we had on Saturday night. She was just starting her shift and was checking on Cherie, knowing that they were going to be moving her to go have a CT Scan. She noticed right away that Cherie wasn't looking good and wouldn't let the CT people take her until she could check her blood pressure. THATS when it became clear she was in trouble and started the ball rolling calling in for backup. As she and one of the other Doctors told us tonight, had she gone for that CT scan, she more than likely would have "coded" and they would not have been set up at that moment to do much about it. I knew it was bad at the time and Cherie knew at the time she was in trouble, but hearing them tell us like they did tonight was surreal.

But things look good now. She's feeling better, ready to start walking around again. They will still be keeping an eye on her knowing what they know now.

Sam and I sneaked in a couple slices of pizza for her (she requested it)! I'm sure that tasted better than the hospital food.

I'll be down there tomorrow getting the whip out and have her doing laps around the floor.

thanks and God Bless,

Scott

Hi, it's Cherie. I'm home. Slept last night in my own bed!

It felt like I was in the hospital FOREVER, but only 9 days. I say "only", considering the fact that they had to emergently , go back in, last Saturday night after surgery, because bleeding in the chest, and behind the heart.

Glad they could get all the bleeding stopped, because I had had an extremely long day, that day, knowing something was wrong, trying to communicate it, but not convinced they were really listening. Things like "the pain seems to be focused in my left chest". "I feel short of breath" "Something is not right"

They just thought I was weak, and I WAS getting blood transfusions, but couldn't do, what I had been able to do the day before......like walking, eating, etc.

It seriously got their attention, when my husband pointed out that I had absolutely "no color".......he said I was as white as the sheet. So, they went to send me to CT scan to see if they could identify a source of bleeding, but the RN wouldn't let me go, because she could not get a blood pressure, and then the you-know-what hit the fan.

I was awake and aware, even including going BACK into the operating room, but then, when I woke up the next morning, it took me several minutes to figure out where I was.

Anyway, that's all behind me now, and other than having almost no voice (I guess from being intubated twice, in such a short time period), I am on the mend.

Going to hospital for bloodwork tomorrow.......I'm on the Coumadin, but obviously, they are being very careful.

Okay, my friends......need to go lay down. Just wanted to say "hey", and let you know I am home. Happy Easter, everyone!

Hi Cherie,
Going through all that and still being home after 9 days is quite an accomplishment. You are a star !! :)
My hospital stay was 16 days and that was without complications.
Get some rest as often as you can.

Hi Cherie, so glad to hear that you're back home!!!!

You've really gone through it - glad that your husband was with you and that everything turned out okay.

I wish you a peaceful recovery!!!!

Happy Easter,
Rachel

Nothing ever as comfortable as your own bed.
Hope your recovery is now as smooth and straight forward as possible because hey how much excitement does a girl need.
Very best wishes to you and your family at this new beginning, coinciding with Easter. There must be a message there.

Adrienne:cool:

Cherie,
Been following your ups and downs on the caringbridge page, but wanted to send out my thumbs up:thumbup: to you and your family. Glad to see that you are home and I pray that you continue to improve. Many hugs being sent your way.

I too have been following your post-surgery updates from your husband. So glad to finally see one from you and to hear that you are now recovering at home. May you continue to do well.....rest, walk, eat, rest some more. Don't get discouraged if you find that things are not moving as fast as you'd like them to. This surgery has taken a great toll on you and it will be a while before you're able to tackle everyday things.

Take care and stay well!

P.S. Since you'll be checking your INR from now on, you might want to ask your cardiologist if he would approve a home testing monitor. Many of us have them and they are a Godsent!

Latest posts

Back