Warfarin, moldy hay and rat control?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

New to being on anticoagulant I wasn't clear on the names warfarin and Coumadin. If they were always interchangeable or if there was an actual difference and if or what that was. When I was in the hospital and afterwards all my doctors and nurses only used the term Coumadin, never warfarin. lots of literature I read and researched used the term warfarin. Nevertheless in my research I found a rather interesting article. It's mostly about the new breed of anticoagulants used for folks with Afib. Revealing many problems associated with and it makes a great comparison to Coumadin as the better alternative for numerous reasons. However, it's a great read on the origins of warfarin and its later medical compound name Coumadin. even how it was originally marketed as rat poison!

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/health/prevention-with-a-dose-of-danger_47112159

Hi

They are the same thing. Like almost everything it can be a benefit or a hazzard, only dose is significant. Alcohol will make you feel good or kill you. Even sugar in the wrong quantities will kill you.

Wikipedia has good facts on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

Warfarin, also known by the brand namesCoumadin among others, is ananticoagulant normally used in theprevention of thrombosis andthromboembolism, the formation of blood clots in the blood vessels and their migration elsewhere in the body, respectively. It was initially introduced in 1948 as a pesticide against rats and mice, and is still used for this purpose, although more potent poisons such as brodifacoumhave since been developed

Was at surgeon consultation today and that's exactly how he referred to it as Rat Poison! And l would be a recipient for life 😕 it literally made me gasp as l was so taken back by this reference. I had know idea!! ! !

Well on technicality, the rat poison actually is called warfarin. The human drug was later named Coumadin. Either way it's really not poison, even though that's how it had been termed. It's a natural compound derived from some type of clover hay that contains the active ingredient called warfarin, which is what Coumadin is made of. Obviously not a poison as its a life saver for so many of us.

Off the subject a little... Has anyone noted all the lawsuit ads on t.v. against Xarelto and Pradaxa, the 2 newest greatest blood thinners? All the time I have yet to see any lawyers ads against Warfarin (Coumadin). The new blood thinning drugs don't require inr testing like Warfarin. From the looks of things I think I will be happy to stay with the Warfarin. Sorry Brian Vickers and Arnold Palmer.

W. Carter;n858590 said:
Off the subject a little... Has anyone noted all the lawsuit ads on t.v. against Xarelto and Pradaxa, the 2 newest greatest blood thinners? All the time I have yet to see any lawyers ads against Warfarin (Coumadin). The new blood thinning drugs don't require inr testing like Warfarin. From the looks of things I think I will be happy to stay with the Warfarin. Sorry Brian Vickers and Arnold Palmer.

Probably because I live in Florida, (heavens waiting room) but I see tons of commercials for lawsuits for rx drugs, surgical implants and surgical procedures. But yes I've seen the ones you speak of. That article I linked to does even more to add to argue against these new drugs and for Coumadin. It's kind of scary how much stuff the FDA approves that's horribly bad!

I just came across a warfarin class action the other day. The premise of the suit seems to be something like this. If you suffered an adverse event due to being out of range, the drug manufacturer may be responsible. I doubt it will get legs, and it will probably drive up the cost of our excellent , affordable meds, so thanks lawsuit joiners. Thanks a lot.

Hi

yotphix;n858600 said:
I just came across a warfarin class action the other day. The premise of the suit seems to be something like this. If you suffered an adverse event due to being out of range, the drug manufacturer may be responsible. I doubt it will get legs.

this is classic ... a drug which is not under patent. So who are you going to sue?

Next I'll hear of a class action against alcohol ... as a general chemical ... if you consume too much you can get injured or killed.

a world gone mad

I'm sorry to continue the thread hijack, but I just wanted to mention that I looked up what I came across a couple of days ago, and re-read it. I realize now that it was a web site which essentially fishes for class action suits by posting a sort of digest of drug interactions and risks of side effects, and suggesting people who have suffered them should contact a particular firm. I found another site, which was doing a similar thing, but which cited two particular malpractice cases against doctors who failed to act aggressively to prevent haemorrhagic stroke when a patient presented with a high INR. Neither was a class action, and both were settled out of court. It is indeed a world gone mad though, when lawyers are fishing for CAs on the web.

I'm sorry to continue the thread hijack, but I just wanted to mention that I looked up what I came across a couple of days ago, and re-read it. I realize now that it was a web site which essentially fishes for class action suits by posting a sort of digest of drug interactions and risks of side effects, and suggesting people who have suffered them should contact a particular firm. I found another site, which was doing a similar thing, but which cited two particular malpractice cases against doctors who failed to act aggressively to prevent haemorrhagic stroke when a patient presented with a high INR. Neither was a class action, and both were settled out of court. It is indeed a world gone mad though, when lawyers are fishing for CAs on the web.

Latest posts

Back