Warfarin & Cataract Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwsp768

Anyone on here had to have Cataract Surgery while taking Warfarin and if so did you need to stop your Warfarin? Got a call in to my doctor of course he is out till next week. Surgery set up for the 28th of this month. Asked the Laser folks and they couldn't answer the question.

From what I briefly researched on the internet the general consensus is no need to stop warfarin. Several articles I found recommend INR of 3.0 or less. I googled warfarin and cataract surgery.

I had cataract surgery a little over a year ago. There is no need to stop Coumadin(warfarin), I didn't even have to be concerned about my INR.
Be aware though if by chance you are taking an alpha-blocker, this is a potential problem. This would include Cardura, Flomax, and a few others.
These can cause what is known as floppy iris syndrome. In laymans terms the eye may not respond properly to dialation.
Rich

No changes necessary

No changes necessary

RWSP:

My dear one had both eyes done in 2000. THe first ones were in Aprils and the second in June. He did not change his INR and he certainly did not adjust his Coumadin intake.

The person who did his surgery told us that he was on his second thousand of surgeries. He had spent four years in the servive doing eye surgery. We both liked him to pieces and had no problems with the surgery.

No changes necessary.

Regards,
Blanche

Latest posts

Back